Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have a Paypal account and have used it recently to pay Enos members for various items.  The buyer of my DVC wants to pay me with Paypal, but I've never used it to receive funds, only to send funds.  Since we're talking about quite a bit of cash, I wanted to check with you guys to see if there is anything I need to worry about........

Thanks,

Trace

Nothing negative I've experienced. The money shows up in your Paypal account. You do what you want with it from there. Full disclosure, I've paid a lot with Paypal and it is fine as you said. I've only once received money from a sale. I used it to buy something as opposed to transferring it to another account.

Trace, read about gun purchases with PayPal. I was told they will freeze account and possibly keep the funds if used to purchase or sell firearm. My FFL had it happen to him.

READ carefully the PayPal fine print.

This may be bad second hand information but want you to error on the safe side.

Let us know what you find out.

I do use PayPal a lot though.

Can't go wrong with MO or cashiers check for firearm purchases.

Make sure he sends it as gift money and makes no mention of a transaction. Transfer the money into your bank as soon as the funds are released. I've never had an issue. 

I just used it a few days ago to purchase a $3k Limited gun from this forum.  It worked really well but that's because both parties were ok using it and I was out of town so that helped not to delay a transaction.  I wouldn't go past your comfort level but it is possible if both parties understand the system.  Sure there's risk but if someone is well established here, that helps with the credibility.  Of course, the $ was real and showed up.  You can transfer it that day or the next.  I've bought 1/2 dozen things here recently with PP.  

Use the friends/family option and don't enter anything in the notes. Yes, they have a clause against gun purchases (to protect thenselves against nuisannce suits from states like mine) but they're still getting their 3.5% so I don't see them looking into the details if they don't have to.  But, yeah, for an actual firearm purchase/sale (vs accessories) I'd explore all other means first.  

Edited by jkrispies

2 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Use the friends/family option... ...they're still getting their 3.5%

If you use the gift option funded from you PayPal balance or bank account there is no fee, are you finding the gift with a credit card?

Maybe but I don't think anything is really for free.  I don't think there's typically a fee either way if the money is already in PayPal but if the money found it's way into the account they've already got their cut in some fashion.  

I try to use PayPal infrequently.  In April I bought a gun part from eBay.  Its a really  good part and a week later bought the same part a second time.  Both times used my PayPal account.

Come end of May and PayPal advises they were following up on my dispute.  I contacted PayPal to tell them I did not dispute the transaction and they corrected themselves indicating my credit card company was filing the dispute.  

Checked with the credit card issuer and found they had not filed a dispute.,  Contacted PayPal again indicating there was nothing wrong with the transaction.  Item was received and no one disputes this.

Then it gets interesting.  PayPal locks down my account.  No one will tell me why.  

Being locked, I have limited access.  I cannot use PayPal, I cannot delete my credit card from their account, and I cannot close the account.

Once again I contact PayPal.  No problem, they will send me an email detailing how to reinstate my account.  They send email, I follow instructions, account stays locked.  I call, they send another email, I follow the new instructions and it remains locked.  Repeat a third time, same results. On the fourth email they want me to fax them proof of who I am.  Examples included a state issued ID or copies of paid utility bills that are not over 6 months old.

So after 3 weeks I still have a locked PayPal account with a zero dollar balance and a request to my credit card issuer for a new card number.

Edit to add:  I forgot to mention that after each email they required I change my password and often the new password would not work for a day or two.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

That's a hassle for sure.  Sometimes they are a real convenience...sometimes it is more trouble than its worth.  Overall, it's been useful to me.  The recent example I mentioned of me being out of town (and far from a bank) but wanting to make a large purchase on this forum is a good example of that.  

1 hour ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I try to use PayPal infrequently.  In April I bought a gun part from eBay.  Its a really  good part and a week later bought the same part a second time.  Both times used my PayPal account.

Come end of May and PayPal advises they were following up on my dispute.  I contacted PayPal to tell them I did not dispute the transaction and they corrected themselves indicating my credit card company was filing the dispute.  

Checked with the credit card issuer and found they had not filed a dispute.,  Contacted PayPal again indicating there was nothing wrong with the transaction.  Item was received and no one disputes this.

Then it gets interesting.  PayPal locks down my account.  No one will tell me why.  

Being locked, I have limited access.  I cannot use PayPal, I cannot delete my credit card from their account, and I cannot close the account.

Once again I contact PayPal.  No problem, they will send me an email detailing how to reinstate my account.  They send email, I follow instructions, account stays locked.  I call, they send another email, I follow the new instructions and it remains locked.  Repeat a third time, same results. On the fourth email they want me to fax them proof of who I am.  Examples included a state issued ID or copies of paid utility bills that are not over 6 months old.

So after 3 weeks I still have a locked PayPal account with a zero dollar balance and a request to my credit card issuer for a new card number.

Edit to add:  I forgot to mention that after each email they required I change my password and often the new password would not work for a day or two.

Wow.  Sounds to me like your account was (and continues to be) hacked.  

6 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Watching things closely.  So far no strange charges or such.  Credit card number on their records no longer active.

I could see somebody hacking the account not so much to accrss the PayPal account itself but for CC and Bank #'s, passwords, etc.  just not sure why they'd bring attention through a dispute.  Also doesn't make sense for PayPal to use it as an excuse to mess with your account.  They want your business first and foremost and can ultimately start an investigation at any tine for any reason without making up BS reasons.  Very suspicious....

1 hour ago, jkrispies said:

I could see somebody hacking the account not so much to accrss the PayPal account itself but for CC and Bank #'s, passwords, etc.  just not sure why they'd bring attention through a dispute.  Also doesn't make sense for PayPal to use it as an excuse to mess with your account.  They want your business first and foremost and can ultimately start an investigation at any tine for any reason without making up BS reasons.  Very suspicious....

PayPal only had the numbers on one card that I reserved for business and shooting.  Several years ago I did file a dispute with PayPal when a package did not arrive.  Turned out the seller forgot to post the package so it worked out with minimal fuss.

I think PayPal has become so big and ingrained in everyone's shopping that they are now in the class of "to big to fail".  My feeble little account with maybe $200 in charges a year is at the bottom of their priority list.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

They will suspend your account and keep your money if they find out you are buying firearms or certain gun parts. You can try to get it back, but it may take a while. They kept $1800 of my money for six months because I was selling 25 round Ruger 10/22 Mags. They suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do use PP like many mentioned here, both sending and receiving, with only 1 single issue.  I am guessing I have a total of 40-50 PP transactions that are reloading or gun related.   The only single issue I had was when I wrote a message in the comment section, and it was kind of written code for my friend, you know as a reminder of what it was for.  I think it was for some work he was doing on my 1911... regardless, PP froze my account until I explained the comment.  The account was re-opened in about 1 week.  From then on, I never write a comment.

Ive used paypal for transactions receiving up to $4500 in one transaction. No problems. They other party sent it as a gift with no notes. All went well. Deposited into my account in about two days. Also in the same weekend recieved 1500 again deposited in my account in two days. It has worked out for me to pay and receive but I never put anything in the notes. and most of all transactions go as gift.

I've returned payments and cancelled deals over someone putting gun related comments in the payment. I'd rather cash a money order that says Hookers and Blow on it, than get a paypal that says "Brass" or "Magazines" on it.