Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Freedom Ordnance FX-9

I have had my FX-9 8" for a little over a year now and love it. has run flawlessly with about 500 rounds through it, a mix of 115gr from various manufactures with no issue. I have changed out a lot of the cosmetics and added a rise armament ra-535 trigger along with a $1.50 of quarters in the buffer tube . currently switched sights out to holosun 510gr. great range toy that is a nail driver!

https://i.imgur.com/NPS4yp7.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have anyone else have issues with the charging handle eating the rear of the upper receiver? I have just had to send the upper back to Freedom Ordnance to have them look why the charging handle has so much play in it that when shooting it will release and kiss my nose, since I shoot nose to charging handle. I have never seen any charging handle on any AR pattern rifle/pistol this loose before. 

20200309_200214.jpg

20200309_200409.jpg

Edited by Pinger1776
On 2/27/2020 at 10:54 AM, Chefcg1 said:

I have had my FX-9 8" for a little over a year now and love it. has run flawlessly with about 500 rounds through it, a mix of 115gr from various manufactures with no issue. I have changed out a lot of the cosmetics and added a rise armament ra-535 trigger along with a $1.50 of quarters in the buffer tube . currently switched sights out to holosun 510gr. great range toy that is a nail driver!

I have the FX-9 8" also. Stock buffer. What have the quarters done for your buffer?

On 2/27/2020 at 12:54 PM, Chefcg1 said:

Same question? Does the quarters work, do they help lesson the bolts travel and aid in cycling at all. 

On 1/4/2020 at 11:17 AM, PCC_GUY said:

The FX9 uses a proprietary lower which inhibits the use of AR charging handles, bolt catches, extbsed mag releases, or safeties. The charging handle that comes with it is pretty weak sauce (just being honest). I am awaiting the shipment of the Freedom Ordinance enhanced version, but it is costly at nearly $80 with shipping - what you would expect to pay for a high end AR version. That is the only upgrade you can really get other than a grip and/or magwell.

I purchased the official Freedom Ordinance extended charging handle and was not pleased. Ended up returning it. It was slightly larger in the hands, but it didn't fit the rifle. It scrapped along the top of the buffer tube, and now I have an ugly mark along the top of the firearm. Not a huge deal, but overall it was disappointing that a company's own accessories don't fit their own rifles. 

Other than that problem, the gun has worked perfectly with 4.6 grains of W231 behind 115 rn (the same load I use in my Walther Q5). I was on this thread looking for aftermarket trigger options. Sounds like the CMC 3.5 is my best option, as I am not shelling out Hyperfire money -- unfortunately. 

Edited by Godzilla_Jones
  • 2 months later...
Just purchased the FX9 4.5 Inch barrel because they were out of the other sizes. Is there any way to upgrade the barrel to the 8 inch? 
Email Freedom Ordnance. I actually bought a spare upper from them and they had barrels to sell, as well (at the time).

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Kyleholeton

I contacted Freedom Ordnance and asked about +P ammo. They responded very quickly. Here is what they said...

You can shoot, +p but not +p+, however shooting large amounts of +P will cause excessive wear on the buffer which is not covered by warranty but is relatively inexpensive to replace.

• 2 weeks later...

I read through this thread and saw ppl were swapping out the buffer on the FX9 to make it heavier (5.4oz). I also read that someone added 6 quarters to do the same (is that even real?)... Does that really help it cycle? Does the added weight indeed reduce recoil?

I've had mine a few years at this point - never polished a thing. Have shot a ton of ammo - mostly 147 and 124gr reloads. Probably has 5-7k rounds through it and never had an issue. I'd like to use it for USPSA and Steel Matches more than I currently do so any way to shave time is a plus.

Any help is appreciated.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Glad to see this forum. I’ve own my FX-9 for about 3-4 years now. Ran the 16” in USPSA matches. I moved and however I’m not competing anymore but I am waiting on a suppressor for this baby! Just have acouple questions hoping someone can help me out.

i don’t need the 16” barrel anymore I want to put a 8” barrel on it and then the suppressor. Or I guess I could do the 4.5”barrel and a can. Any suggestions? 

also, I can’t get the dang barrel off nor find one and a new handguard. Any suggestions on barrels? Barrel nut? Handguard?

thanks 

• 2 years later...

I have the 18.5"  carbine with a complete 10" upper. I use both up here in Canada shooting IDPA PCC Division.  We also shoot steel matches loosely resembling US Steel shoots,  The gun shoots flawlessly using either upper.  Mine is very picky when it comes to locking back after the last round.  None of my Glock OEM mags will lock back the boli.  One version of the Korean 10/33 round mags work fine.  

I have not read any solution yet that is a universal fix.  I do believe the issue involves the mag springs,the mag follower and the cut out in the mag for the mag release.  The latter determines how far the mag body rises in the gun.  I have the Gen2 version of the FX9.  If there is a cure please let me know.

I enjoy shooting the gun.  Mine has been reliable as the sunrise with all my reloads and factory ammo.

I do experience bulged cases with my gun.  The bulge was most evident using the stock buffer and spring combo.   Cases experienced a circular bulge large enough to prevent resizing and I did experience one  burst case with one factory 125 gr  cartridge.  I now run a 6oz buffer and AR spring with 3 quarters.  This seems to have delayed the bolt e enough to reduce/end the case bulging.  I did talk to Freedom Ordnance about this and they seemed be pretty ambivalent about the issue,  my solution does add a bit more felt recoil  ut is a solution of sorts.  If any of you folks know of a better solution please feel free to chime in.

Lastly, the village idiot sitting in our Prime Minister"s office has legislation in progress to ban the FX9, along with over 400 pages of other semi-auto rifles and shotguns.  God only knows where it will end.  One way or another I will be shooting this carbine either at our range or ....well never mind.  There is a lot of empty spaces up here in the Great White North.

Take Care

Canada Bob

Edited by robertbank

Glad you’re enjoying the FX9. I run a 16” carbine in AZ for PCC. 

Mine isn’t too picky about the lock back, working with MagPul and ETS mags, not so much with actual Glock mags. I haven’t seen the case bulge you’ve got. I’m running a KeenShot hydraulic, AR10 spring, and short stroke spacer to let the bolt go back just far enough to engage the BHO. 
So far it’s been a good combo, got most of one season on it, mostly level 1club matches. 
RTL

Edited by rtl