Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

login details aren't holding...

bcp

Not sure why my login details aren't holding even though I've selected the "remember me" function.  They will hold for a day or so then I have to sign in again.  This happens in both laptop and mobile.  

It's just a minor thing but it doesn't happen to me on other forums.  I'm using Safari and iPhone.

Is this happening for others or do I need to adjust a setting?  Thanks.

The only time I've "lost" my login was when I logged in with my tablet. (usually at a motel). When I don't do that, I stay logged in indefinitely. I suspect it has something to do with logging in from different locations. 

I have been on the road a lot so that could be contributing.  I would think once I login at a new location, it would stay logged in.  It's not a big deal...just a minor annoyance.  

Mine was doing the same thing, only it was apparently logging me out every time I closed my browser did that for 3-4 days, was starting to consider creating a thread about it, then it seemed like daily, now maybe it's back to normal was still logged in after 14hrs or so, we'll see.

Edited by Beef15

Yep. I just noticed this last week. Nothing on my end changed that I am aware of, but I have to login regardless of the computer I'm on. Once logged in, I can exit my browser and will stay logged in when I open the forum again, but it seems if I power down or logout of a profile, i have to sign back in. This never happened until last week.

Well, it's good to know it's not just me.  Could be a tech issue as of late or some recent server settings.  I just came into the topic through the email notification and it did NOT happen this time.  It's not a consistent issue for me, which makes it stranger in some ways.  

Again, not a big deal but I wanted to ask about it.  

Sometimes clearing your browser's cache/history and then logging back in will make it stay after that.  Sometimes it has to do with the updates the browser gets and does and then it will conflict with the cookies that are currently installed in/for the browser and that is what causes the problem, so it will log you out of the browser right away instead of holding due to incompatibility.  

So, to combat this, you go in, open your browser, clear the history and complete cache, close the browser (either mobile or workstation) and then when you reopen the browser, and go to the website, you will have to log in again and select to save the information (remember me), but this time it should stick with the new cookies/settings.

Hopefully this helps you out.  But be aware, when you clear the history/cache, this will generally remove all passwords/history for all websites, so you will have to go back in and do this for each forum or what not that you visit. :)

I've done that before and sometimes it works and sometimes not.  It's a large pain in the butt if you have stored a lot of passwords, etc.  I'm hoping not to do it as right now, this forum is the only online problem I'm having.  If I reset and clear cache, I know I will have to re-do many, many passwords.  

Understood.  Was just throwing it out there as a possible solution.  That's also why I put the caveat on there to let people know that it would affect all passwords and not just the one. :)  I agree it is a pain in the arse and I leave it as a last possible solution if someone stores a lot of passwords in their browser and doesn't want to resave/reenter them. :(