Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reaming a .223 Muzzle Break to 9mm.

I'm in need of a stainless steel muzzle brake for a 9mm PCC barrel with 1/2-28 threads. A Miculek style comp would be great.

Since I'm in the camp where we don't feel the compensators do much to reduce muzzle movement (at least not with128 PF loads),   I just want one to direct a little noise back at the RO.  I put a similar comp on another 9mm barrel and it cuts back on mandatory reshoots.

So there is not much on the market to my liking but an inexpensive .223 brake off of eBay would work if I can drill out the bore to 9mm.  

I don't have access to a lathe or mill, only a vise and an inexpensive drill press.  If I give it a try, I plan on using a 13/32" cobalt drill bit.

Good idea or a waste of time and money?

Bill

I was about to have some custom reamers made for exactly this purpose, but I was talked out of it this afternoon. My buddy didn't think there were enough people with the same problem (bought a 1/2x28 thread Spinta barrel and can't find a 9mm JM style comp).

I just had some carbide 9mm chamber reamers custom made because the high speed steel ones wear out quickly on melonited barrels, and TiN barrels destroy cutters, so if anyone is interested I can have some muzzle brake reamers made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drill bits do wander, so if you go that route drill it oversize to be sure of clearance. Also, avoid anything that has been nitrided as that makes them really hard to work with.

I just looked around on ebay and there are several 1/2-28 threaded 9mm brakes available. I searched "9mm brake"

Edited by mscott

I thought about drilling to 3/8" but was concerned that with my unsteady hand, it would be cutting it too close.  

I guess I could give it a try at 3/8" and if that don't work, go one step further and go to 13/32".

Again, I don't think the comp will do much if anything for muzzle movement so a tight fit to the bullet is not needed.  Just tight enough to cause a little more sound to reach the timer.

Thanks.

Bill

24 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I thought about drilling to 3/8" but was concerned that with my unsteady hand, it would be cutting it too close.  

I guess I could give it a try at 3/8" and if that don't work, go one step further and go to 13/32".

Again, I don't think the comp will do much if anything for muzzle movement so a tight fit to the bullet is not needed.  Just tight enough to cause a little more sound to reach the timer.

Thanks.

Bill

Drill it, then shoot it once.

Hand file comp with round chain-saw-blade-type files where bullet touches comp.

And repeat until happy.

Flatland... check out McDonald Precision Components... they have an e-bay store... I use their EQ model (comes in 1/2-28 and 1/2 -36) and runs around $25... it is similar to a Miculek, but the slots are slightly oriented to the top of the brake... be sure to click on 9mm for hole diameter

Edited by Les Snyder

Lone Wolf, Carver,and SJC all make 9mm comps with 1/2 - 28 threads, I just sold a Lone Wolf last week but I still have a new SJC 11 port that I'd sell, contact me via PM if interested. (I switched platforms a while back and don't use screw on comps anymore)

Edited by Bkreutz
Keeping the new bore concentric to the old bore will be very difficult with a vise and drill press. I've tried and I've ruined.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That's why you need a muzzle brake reamer. The tip of the reamer has no cutting edge and rests inside the barrel to keep it concentric while the tapered reamer end makes its way through the hole in the brake until it reaches the max cutting diameter. It's basically like a longer taper chamber reamer and works perfectly.

23 minutes ago, MegaCleanCab said:

I am not certain why you would want to mill one out

Strictly aesthetics.  I like the appearance of a JM style comp and I want one in stainless steel to compliment the stainless steel barrel.  So far, none located with a 9mm bore and 1/2-28 threads.

Bill

Strictly aesthetics.  I like the appearance of a JM style comp and I want one in stainless steel to compliment the stainless steel barrel.  So far, none located with a 9mm bore and 1/2-28 threads.

Bill

I was thinking about giving this a try. I have a blue one but haven't tried it yet.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-1-2x36-Thread-Short-Compact-Tanker-Style-Muzzle-Brake-for-9-MM-/192158054007?hash=item2cbd833677%3Ag%3ADyQAAOSwdI9Y8FQO&_trkparms=pageci%253A0f3af24a-5970-11e7-be6b-74dbd180aae2%257Cparentrq%253Addf39a0e15c0ab454bf1645efffd2d5c%257Ciid%253A6