Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finishing SVI gun build... sight tracker option?

1911FL

I would be extremely grateful for the input of SVI owners. 

I am finally finishing my gun builder sheet for my SVI.  

From all of my research, I am no closer to deciding on whether or not to get the sight tracker option. Can any current site tracker owners chime in?  

How is the overall accuracy? Do you regret getting this option  versus a bull barrel ? Have you experienced any cracks in the barrel? Any other issues? 

Thank you for any and all input. 

JP

I am running the schuemann sight tracker barrel on two .40s.  Both are Caspian slides and CK frames.  One is tri topped with a 3/4 length dust cover and the other is not tri topped and a full dust cover.  The tri top gun is super light up front and front sight lifts a little more than the full dust cover gun but the slide function is a lot less violent.  Front sight tracks up and right back to where it needs to.  I love the concept and would recommend the sight tracker with a 3/4 length dust cover and tri topped.  I am getting about 10% better times on my normal drills with the light gun. 

Accuracy is outstanding. I don't have the AET barrels, they are the plain jane barrels.  I do not regret going this route.  I have experienced no problems with cracks in the slides or barrels.  I have 20k plus thru the full dust cover gun and I just got the tri topped 3/4 length dust cover gun this week.  I have put over 1k thru it this week with no issues whatsoever.  I love the sight tracker.  Go all out and get what you want.  Good luck with your order. 

I did see an Apeiro front end blow off a gun a few months ago though.

I don't own a sighttracker but have shot a few of them.  I personally love the recoil impulse and it really helped me learn to watch the front site.

The only negative I have heard is that the front site can move and when it does, the slide won't go back into battery.  I think some way to pin it or maybe green locktite is the solution (there are threads here on Enos that discuss it)

Not knocking it by any means, but if the site starts to slide out during a stage, you aren't finishing it.

I've had two sight trackers, a 9mm IMM duty/carry gun and a 5.4" Limited gun.  I didn't see any loss of accuracy with the ST set up and it really lightens up the slide.  I've never seen one of the SV sights work loose, but I guess it's possible.  If nothing else, the ST option is good for extending the life of the fiber optic rod......

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Trace - did you prefer the sight tracker over a regular barrel?  If you had to choose one over the other,  what would you choose and why?

super- what turned you off about the aet barrel as I was planning on getting one?

Thanks again for all of your help as this is probably the only SVI I'll own.

JP

Edited by 1911FL

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

I've had two sight trackers, a 9mm IMM duty/carry gun and a 5.4" Limited gun.  I didn't see any loss of accuracy with the ST set up and it really lightens up the slide.  I've never seen one of the SV sights work loose, but I guess it's possible.  If nothing else, the ST option is good for extending the life of the fiber optic rod......

You carried and imm open gun?

3 hours ago, 1911FL said:

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Trace - did you prefer the sight tracker over a regular barrel?  If you had to choose one over the other,  what would you choose and why?

super- what turned you off about the aet barrel as I was planning on getting one?

Thanks again for all of your help as this is probably the only SVI I'll own.

JP

I knew a quality traditional barrel would give me all the accuracy I would ever need for limited.  It worked well with my first gun and didn't see the need to break what wasn't broken. I got a good deal on a second one off of the USPSA yard sale.  You kind of have to jump on a hybrid Schumann barrel when you see them.   Supplies are limited and get gone fast.

5 minutes ago, EEH said:

You said carried,,like what do you carry now..?

Springfield Railed Professional from the Springfield Custom Shop.  I haven't had that 9mm ST in quite a while.  It was sold to pay some attorney's fees......

I've got a SV sight tracker, and an Sti edge. The edge has a stainless SV grip, so they're probably close to the same weight. The sight tracker is a lot snappier, with the same ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the sight tracker. Casey told me why it was better so I went with it. Best thing I heard about it is getting back on target quicker. Never had one but willing to try it since this is a big investment so I want the best and go all out. Can't wait I am within couple months of getting mine. 

• 1 month later...
On June 23, 2017 at 7:24 PM, ShortBus said:

Are any of the top shooters using sight trackers?

Yes sir, Chris Tilley, Bill Drummond, Andrew Hyder and i would say most all the SV shooters run them. Max shoots a Badell and i'm not sure if his gun does or does not.  Lots a very good shooters run the Schuemann Hybrid (island) barrels in their customs. Good luck.

Edited by a matt

The target was 11 yards at an indoor range with fair to poor lighting on 8/12/2017 using my 40sw sight tracker.   I was practicing muzzle rise/trigger break drills where, with the exception of the 1st shot from each mag reload, the trigger was squeezed while muzzle in motion. Again this was an indoor range, so splits were NOT sub .20 seconds, but cadence was rhythmic. 

I am a C-More red-dot guy, so any iron/fiber is a challenge.  The Sight Tracker is perfect (I am not).  I was using Freedom Munitions 180gr factory which is a bit snappy.  The sight tracker overall weight compensates for 40sw kick and the lighter slide creates less mass on the upper movement which helps.  Having the fiber in a predicable spot provides some of the predictability of a red-dot.  Using lower power hand-loads is a sweeter experience, but with 40sw at $10/bx, I can't justify reloading for plinking.

Three suggestions, if I could turn back time...1) get a thumb-rest for your support hand 2) get double undercut/checkered under trigger 3) widen the distance between the 2 fiber front sight posts to let more light hit the fiber.    I did all 3 after market. 

PS  I love this Infinity Sight Tracker so much that when Brandon/Tiffany posted an available IMM Open on Facebook last week I bought it.  I will store it (IMM) in the safe until my old-eyes stop picking up the glow of fiber and need to revert back to e-optics.

Good luck.....

Muzzle Trigger sync SVI ST.JPG

P2P Pass Full.JPG

P2P Gator.JPG

Edited by Austin111

I to went with sight tracker 40. I see you said you wish you would've gotten a thumb rest and had to do it after you had the Sv. Why did you need the thumb rest. I've never shot with one and I guess I don't really need one. Just never have thought about getting one. 

Dirtchevy841,

Thumb-rest (probably should be called "Support-Hand Leverage Device" since the thumb is doing everything except "resting"). 

With my reloads, (softer shooting rounds) the muzzle rise is insignificant.  With the freedom munitions, it kicks... The SVI is addictive and my favorite to bring to the range so hand-loading 800 rounds a week is too time consuming, so I have to resort to factory ammo.

I felt I had difficulty driving the SVI down out of the rise with my support hand without that point of contact.  Grip tape on the frame may have solved it, but it gets tattered and torn.  The SVI trigger allows for a gentle, precision break so transferring the management of vertical and lateral movement to my support hand feels proper and thus..the thumb-rest.  

Please configure your Infinity the way you and Brandon discussed.  He is the expert.  

Edited by Austin111

1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Where you at on your build tometime

Ordered a week before the elections, 9/40 sight tracker with 5 mags for each cal, I made a change to a threaded 9mm barrel in June, quoted 12 to 15 months again, and it's paid for

1 hour ago, 427Cobra said:

Ordered a week before the elections, 9/40 sight tracker with 5 mags for each cal, I made a change to a threaded 9mm barrel in June, quoted 12 to 15 months again, and it's paid for

Nice. Paid mine up front also. Get it out the way. Got my call last Wednesday to go over final build sheet. They said it is on the build floor looking at September early October maybe sooner they said. If it goes to October that puts me at 14 months. Fingers crossed fir September. 

Mine is on Fedex truck for delivery today. Ordered April 16, 2016 will be delivered August 18, 2017. That puts it at 18 months though I am sure being a CA gun added a bit of an extra month or to to the process.

Edited by tanks

2 hours ago, tanks said:

Mine is on Fedex truck for delivery today. Ordered April 16, 2016 will be delivered August 18, 2017. That puts it at 18 months though I am sure being a CA gun added a bit of an extra month or to to the process.

16* months.