Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glasses

GrumpyOne

So, I was down in Miami earlier this week working. I stopped in at Chili's for lunch one day. Sitting at the bar, waiting for my lunch, an older lady came up and sat a couple chairs down. We started exchanging small talk waiting for our food. After a few minutes, she said "You're looking at that line across my nose, aren't you?" In a little bit of shock, I said "Yeah, how did that happen?" She replied "It's from glasses." ....I asked "Why don't you use contact lenses?" She replied "They don't hold enough beer."

Oddly enough, converse was originally a verb meaning “to move about, live or dwell” when it first came into existence in the mid 14th century. But today we only use converse to talk about, well, talking. Quipped the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, “When marrying, one should ask oneself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this woman into your old age?”

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

Oddly enough, converse was originally a verb meaning “to move about, live or dwell” when it first came into existence in the mid 14th century. But today we only use converse to talk about, well, talking. Quipped the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, “When marrying, one should ask oneself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this woman into your old age?”

Yikes, an etymologist, everybody mind your p's and q's!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...