Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIG 2022 Questions

AussieTactical

Hoping I can get some input here. My son, who is just turning 13, is looking for a handgun to shoot IPSC Production Division. We were initially both thinking we would go with something like the CZ shadow, but he is a little uncomfortable having to manually decock the CZ, so we are looking at other options now. He also shoots left handed, so that is another consideration on what we chose. 

A 2022 that has come up for sale and we were thinking this may be a good choicefor him. Just based on some research we did, it seems well suited to smaller hands, seems to be reliable and even though the decocking lever is on the left, left handed shooters seem comfortable reaching over with their right hand to decock the pistol. It also seems like the mag release is easy enough to work with the left hand trigger finger. So it seems like the 2022 would be a good option, at least for the next fey years for him to use. 

At this point, I am just wondering if I am missing anything, or are there any better choices that meet these criteria?

I would reach out to Paul Phegan, he's there in Australia and his son shoots as well. He should be able to give you some good advice as to what gun to go with. A problem you're going to run into with the 2022 is lack of aftermarket parts to make it more efficient. If you were to go with more traditional competition guns you'll have a lot more options down the road.

If he's uncomfortable with letting the hammer down I would suggest going with a P320F or the Q5 Match, I really wish they could get the P320x5 verified as it makes for a great production gun right out of the box. I think you'll find there are not a lot of Sig's being shot in IPSC production division you'll probably see more CZ's, Tangfolio's, Glocks, etc.

Are you hell-bent on a DA/SA? As suggested above, the X5 and Q5/PPQ are nice. I have small-medium hands and very short fingers, so a pretty small grip, and the X5 is shootable as-is and would be fine with a small grip module. The Q5/PPQ fits me well too (the only gun so far I can drop mags w/o altering my grip, although it pinches on mags insertion). CZ P10-C is fully ambi, great ergos, and shoots great apparently (5lb trigger might be an issue). 

Or for DA/SA there's still the SP01 Tactical if you want the decocker and liked Shadows. Another thought is the P09 or a steel Omega, where he can use the decocker for a bit and switch over later.

4 hours ago, gavagai said:

Are you hell-bent on a DA/SA?

Not hell bent on anything. Definitely open to suggestions. My only experience with striker fired handguns so far is the Glock 19, and that doesn't seem like a great option for wringing the most out of your handgun in production class (yes I know some people do it). So we are open to looking at other striker fired pistols, but so far not entirely convinced about the trigger.

Thats why the idea of a DA/SA with a decocker appealed. It should give a better trigger for all but the first shot, and the decocker solves the problem of manually decocking each time he has to load for a stage. And I recognise the 2022 may not be the best option either, it just seemed to meet a lot of our criteria so thought it was worth asking about.

Thanks for the suggestions on the CZs that might fit the bill. I will go take a look at those.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2022 in 40 S&W and wound up selling it after only a few boxes  of ammo through it. Mags were harder to find used and new ones are pricey given the cost of the new gun. The frame didn't lend itself to my hands the way that a P226 does or my CZs or even my Sig 1911. Before buying one I would see if there may be someone local to you where you could feel it and see how it feels in the hand. By contrast the new P320 feels pretty darn good in my hands, even better than the FNS-40 I had for a year or two and light years better than I remember the 2022 being. Maybe a used P226? Don't know what they go for there but I am seeing them used cheaper and cheaper here, though the new ones are still top dollar.

CZ does make a manual decocker 75 as well as the safety model, though not sure what is available to you. As the CZ 75/shadow is fairly heavy, a polymer gun might be the ticket for a younger person anyway. BTW, there is a video that people link to here often showing how to manually decock the CZs and all you do is put your index finger in it and roll it out and up and the hammer drops slowly. No worries about trying to hold the sides with your finger or anything.

BTW sorry if you already made a decision, just saw the original post date

Edited by mikeinctown

Thanks for the answer. Right now I am thinking we will get either a Walther Q5 of a Sig 320. That way we totally avoid the decocking issue. I want him to be as focused on the shooting as possible, and I am just concerned the manual decocking was going to risk being too much of a distraction for him at this stage. We can always revisit it when he is a bit older and more experienced.

Edited by AussieTactical

Aussie Tactical said:

"Thanks for the answer. Right now I am thinking we will get either a Walther Q5 of a Sig 320. That way we totally avoid the decocking issue. I want him to be as focused on the shooting as possible, and I am just concerned the manual decocking was going to risk being too much of a distraction for him at this stage. We can always revisit it when he is a bit older and more experienced."

You may have already made your purchase decision and if you have you can ignore this.!! Otherwise, let me just say that I went through a few months back a lot of what you are doing right now. I am an "oldster" so the "young" issues don't really apply, but almost everything else does. I was looking for a way to get into Production division with a decent gun that would last me until I either out-performed it or gave up competition. I looked at a lot of guns (and I already own a couple that I could have used..), but I settled on the exact same two guns that you are contemplating. It was a tough decision.... and truthfully, I don't think you could go too far wrong with either one of them. I handled both of them and shot both of them. I have a fairly decent club close by and there are several Sig 320's available. The Q5 was also represented but only with one gun. Didn't matter though,  one was enough. I decided on the Sig 320. For what it is worth, I found the factory trigger on the Sig to be just about as good as a factory striker fired trigger can be. It's not too light, but it 'feels' a lot lighter than it is. I liked the Q5 too... Just not quite as much as the Sig. You have to be aware of the hype... Walther hypes their guns pretty good on their web site. Sig does much the same too. I found it interesting that Sig won the recent military contract here with the 320. And there is the fact that you COULD change out the grip module if you needed to do so.... inexpensively too... about $50. or so. Anyway, the Sig is very popular right now, although the availability of aftermarket parts is not as good as it could be...YET.!!

Anyway, just thought I would throw this out there. Either would be good I think. I preferred the Sig... and that is what I bought. It's been about three months now, and I am VERY pleased. It's hard to argue with what works well and makes you happy. Good luck with your decision and purchase. Hope the boy takes to the shooting game.!!

:)

Edited by hobbit99
stupid auto correct....