Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why replace basepads for production

SlvrDragon50

Do people find that replacing the basepads with Springer Precisions or Shockbottles really aid in drawing the mag? Or is it just looks? I'm a little confused why they're so commonly replaced when the metal just wears rapidly from dropping on the ground. 

So reloads actually are a bit easier then? I've never handled them before so I don't have anything to compare to. I had my first stuck mag (because of my pro-grip) and had to pull it out myself so now I'm considering getting the basepads.

Easier to handle without the bill on the end of the mag, easier seating with added separation between bottom of mag and strong hand, extra weight for mag to drop free during reload, place to grip if something gets jammed up. Definitely worth it. 

Stock platic pads can get eaten up way faster than the metal pads. With the metal pads the anodizing is being chipped or worn off but on a plastic one you would be tearing into the plastic. Also as mentioned more weight and on mine at least I have skate tape on the bottom of the pads which make it impossible for my hand to slide off the bottom.

CZ 75 SP01 Shadow.   I was getting my palm caught between the plastic base pad and the bottom of the magwell on occasional poorly executed reloads.   Hurt like a b*tch.  I put the shock bottle easy offs onto my mags and have not had a blood blister since.    Also, if you get a brightly colored pad, easier to find the spent mags after shooting a stage.  YMMV.

LMS

CZ-75 SP01.  Stock mags and pads.  Worked more than well enough for 7 years.  Only reason I am considering changing now is I received 5 or 6 base pads from prize table.  Both are more than what is needed for competition.

Just a suggestion, but the rubberized base pads available from CZ Custom and Cajun work really well for me. As a plus, they save the mags from wear and tear from bouncing off of graveled bays and indoor range floors. I wouldn't want to use them with a mag well, but they have been great for production. They only cost $8 or $9 bucks as well.

1. change balance of the gun

2. aid in mags dropping

3. bring a gun closer to its 2.0 oz by other means

4. change how your hand grasps the magazine in the pouch

5. cosmetics

6. metal will not shatter like plastic on impact

7. unique identifier of your mags being your mags

i don't know anyone who does it because they say it's faster but i do it for all 7 of the reasons above

1. change balance of the gun
2. aid in mags dropping
3. bring a gun closer to its 2.0 oz by other means
5. cosmetics
6. metal will not shatter like plastic on impact
7. unique identifier of your mags being your mags

i don't know anyone who does it because they say it's faster but i do it for all 7 of the reasons above

Always look forward to reading your opinion rowdy.

I didn't think about balance at all. Though I guess I wasn't too worried about weight with an S2 :P

I know it would put my 85C over the weight limit. I guess my hesitancy was just due to marring a fresh anodize finish. I know they're tools, but a little bit of me dies inside every time I see a new scratch haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 5:37 PM, rowdyb said:

haha, don't look closely at my magazines at all then. or guns i compete with.

Hahah. I saw those and was tempted to buy them just because they were so beat up already :P

I got the pads in, and I think I do like them more than the plastic ones. I just couldn't stomach paying full price on them. Definitely a lot easier to get a good initial grip on the bigger pad.

On 6/25/2017 at 3:04 PM, rowdyb said:

That is the one that matters to me.

Stock CZ mags, with my natural index point on my palm & stock basepads works out perfect for me, forefinger is just where it ought to be as mag comes to gun, more basepad just feels weird and less positive finding the mag opening. 

On a different mag maybe the longer basepad would work out better for my hand & it could just be that I like what I have trained myself to use. 

We buy stuff, we play, and then we sell it, or not. 

• 6 months later...

I haven’t replaced mine yet for my Glock 34, but after adding the magwell, the stock base pads hide inside the well... if one was stuck, I wouldn’t be able to remove it easily. And they have become tougher to seat as mentioned above. Hard to justify $200 in base pads, but I may swallow my pride soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:52 PM, TrackCage said:

Another benefit (speaking to Glock specifically) is easy of disassembly. OEM Glock mags suck at this.

For me, this is it, otherwise I wouldn't bother.  I live in the "Sandhills"  and mags require cleaning often.