Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone running a Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24 scope?

I'm considering one and was wondering if the red dot is daylight bright enough for fast shots at 1x. If you have one, or have played with one I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Cuz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, but I was specifically asking about the gen 2 Viper PST which is new in 2017. I did try searching and couldn't find any info on it. But, I have had problems with the search function in the past.

-Cuz

9 hours ago, Cuz said:

Thanks, but I was specifically asking about the gen 2 Viper PST which is new in 2017. I did try searching and couldn't find any info on it. But, I have had problems with the search function in the past.

-Cuz

I just got the shipping notice on mine. I'll let you know what I think when it comes in.

Edited by KzBoost

I've been shooting a Razor gen2 1-6 w/ JM reticle for the past year.  I recently received a viper gen2 1-6 w/ MRAD reticle.  The dot on the viper is slightly bigger than the Razor and just as bright.  The glass on the Razor is better, definitely clearer on the edges.  The eye box is more forgiving on the Razor.  JM reticle is cleaner as well.  Razor is still king, but the Viper is great for the money.  

When I first looked through the Viper I figured I would wind up selling the Razor, but after shooting the Viper for a little bit I decided to keep the Razor.

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

Thanks for the input. Do you think there's a better 1-6x scope out there in the $700 price range?

No!  I greatly prefer a single illuminated dot type reticle that must be aimpoint bright.  The Viper is an awesome scope for the money that delivers this.  

9 hours ago, CharlieD said:

No!  I greatly prefer a single illuminated dot type reticle that must be aimpoint bright.  The Viper is an awesome scope for the money that delivers this.  

+1       and just came Home from a matach  ran it on 5 all day.

Thanks, I'm sure the leupold is nice, but I have a hard time getting past the 2 year warranty on their electronics. Same goes for Trijicon, although their electronics are warranted a little longer.

Thanks for the info. I was worried the illuminated dot would be too small to pick up in bright daylight.

On 6/23/2017 at 5:59 PM, CharlieD said:

I've been shooting a Razor gen2 1-6 w/ JM reticle for the past year.  I recently received a viper gen2 1-6 w/ MRAD reticle.  The dot on the viper is slightly bigger than the Razor and just as bright.  The glass on the Razor is better, definitely clearer on the edges.  The eye box is more forgiving on the Razor.  JM reticle is cleaner as well.  Razor is still king, but the Viper is great for the money.  

When I first looked through the Viper I figured I would wind up selling the Razor, but after shooting the Viper for a little bit I decided to keep the Razor.

I just wish the Razor came in a matte black finish rather than the burnt bronze they got going on. Would sure be a lot more appealing... to me at least.

19 hours ago, Cuz said:

Thanks for the info. I was worried the illuminated dot would be too small to pick up in bright daylight.

You'll be impressed with it.  I've also been impressed with the Steiner P4xi 1-4, super bright dot and great glass for under $500.

17 hours ago, KzBoost said:

I just wish the Razor came in a matte black finish rather than the burnt bronze they got going on. Would sure be a lot more appealing... to me at least.

The Razor is so good I wouldn't care if it was pink.

13 hours ago, Cuz said:

Anyone know who has the Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24mm in stock? It seems to be back ordered everywhere.

Larry,

I don't think the shipments have arrived yet.

Are you planning on some 3 gun with distance?

Hi Dan,
Not really, I'm just looking for a toy to put on my Scar 17. I have a 4-16x44 but find it's a little too much magnification for me. I also pre-ordered the new Burris RT-6 to put on an AR just to see what it's like. What are you using for a scope?

i have one on a poodle gun.  the glass is good, but not quite as good as the Razor HD, but definitely better than the Viper 1-4x.

the body looks to be the same size and weight as the Razor HD.  Taking into consideration the price difference, it is a good choice.

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

Hi Dan,
Not really, I'm just looking for a toy to put on my Scar 17. I have a 4-16x44 but find it's a little too much magnification for me. I also pre-ordered the new Burris RT-6 to put on an AR just to see what it's like. What are you using for a scope?

I have a Vortex  Razor HD2,  JM1 reticle on one .223 and my .308, a Meopta 1-4X Z Dot on another AR (it currently has a Vortex Spitfire), another has a Burris XTR 1-4. The Razors are great out at the Whittington Center for Rocky Mountain and He Man. The AR that sometimes has the Meopta is a little lighter and used at matches closer to home.

Got my viper in about a week ago.. Haven't been able to shoot with it since I'm still waiting on my mount however just playing around with it; I'm quite impressed to say the least. I paid 580 for mine when there was a 15% off sale so for the price, there's really nothing that can beat it. Glass is pretty sharp, you can see some feathering at 6x in the edges, but it's real minor. Don't know how well it hold's zero yet, but I'm sure it should be fine.

Edited by KzBoost

On 7/3/2017 at 7:12 AM, Cuz said:

What mount did you go with? I just ordered an American Defense Recon mount and I haven't even ordered my scope yet.

Got a Bobro close ring gap coming. Scored a good deal since it's independence day.

Edited by KzBoost