Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using Video for training

Mikeski

I've noticed people at matches seem to video their runs from two different perspectives. It's either first person or from a far. For those who video which view do you use and why?

7 minutes ago, Mikeski said:

I've noticed people at matches seem to video their runs from two different perspectives. It's either first person or from a far. For those who video which view do you use and why?

I believe both have value; I've been able to use both camera angles to learn different things.

From 3rd Person, I gain a lot of information about my movement, my setups, my positioning, my explosiveness, etc.  At times it's also a good reference for if you screw up somehow, you generally have a better full-picture view of whats happening and why.

From 1st Person, I've been able to identify more specific things about my gun handling.  For example, I've used such footage to determine that I overdrive my gun in certain situations...can't see it on third person very well, but def see it in 1st person.  Also let's you see more clearly how you're handling the recoil and controlling your cadence.

Ultimately, if I had to choose just one method to gain information on the whole, I'd pick 3rd Person, but it's also a lot easier to get 1st Person footage by just clipping the GoPro on my muffs.  If you have the opportunity to get both, do so!

Edited by GorillaTactical

That makes sense. When I was a Golf pro we I used to video students from front and a side view. This allows you to see different things.  For shooting, I am slow. As a C/D shooter I can get my hits and good ones at that, but I am always slower than the A/B shooters. I know my splits, draw and reloads are good, but I think I lose the time moving from shooting area to shooting area. So I think that 3rd person would be best for me now. 

• 3 months later...

Ultimately, if I had to choose just one method to gain information on the whole, I'd pick 3rd Person, but it's also a lot easier to get 1st Person footage by just clipping the GoPro on my muffs.  If you have the opportunity to get both, do so!

Agreed. Even video of practice is valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soemtimes I’ll video another [better] shooter and compare against my own performance on the same stage.  It’s not always easy picking out your own mistakes, but when you see someone else do it right, then it becomes obvious what you need to fix.