Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 3 9mm

mike4045

I picked one up to try it out. Found out after I bought it that I have to get the barrel reamed to run my 147 load from my 9mm weapons. It's not a big deal until I go to the gunsmith and his reamer won't fit the barrel. I make a couple of calls and find out that it's a special reamer made for tangfo barrels. Did anyone else go thru this or just shorten up the load until it fits? Using Blue bullets 147 gr bullets.

10 minutes ago, mike4045 said:

I did they were the ones who informed me about a special reamer. I am thinking of sending them the barrel, but I need the gun for a match Sunday.

Everyone, for the most part, is or has felt with this (search feature is your friend - there is extensive discussion on this tipic). So you make a call, get a solution from the only company currently reaming barrels, and you still can't figure it out? Send it to PD. Who cares about one match. 

Shorten up your loads temporarily for this one match, at a guess you'll need to be all the way back around 1.110. Might get away with around 1.120 - blue bullets are very short chamber friendly.

Just have to plunk & spin test, to see what fits and spins effortlessly.

Then send your barrel out first thing Monday to patriot. You'll have it back by next weekend and you can load as long as you want.

The issue with the Tanfo is the pilot portion of the reamer won't fit into the barrel: with polygonal rifling it needs to be a little bit smaller that a reamer for a tradtionally rifled barrel like a CZ.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I found a box of zero 147 I will load some for this weekend. Seems like such a waste. These guns have magazines that can handle 10mm length loads. No effort to make use of the extra space. 

56 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Why don't you run down to wally world or academy & buy the ammo? That'll be like ~$60 of ammo versus messing up your press to run a few hundred.

Runnjng the sizing die down a turn and a half is hardly a major adjustment.

Gonna run the same powder load without verifying it meets PF or is within safe pressure range? Going to reset a press that, presumably, is locked in for his current load?

Go for it, I don't care. But why mess with your press when there is plenty of ammo available that will work for one match?

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Runnjng the sizing die down a turn and a half is hardly a major adjustment.

That's what I did, works fine, rounds spin free with 147 blues.  Probably still send the barrel to PD for reaming in the off-season just because.

@Tanfastic You should. My reasoning behind it is simply that the deeper you seat a bullet in a case, the more likely you are to have sizing issues. Older brass tends to bulge if you shove a looooong 147gr bullet back in there too deeply. At around .300" deep most 9mm brass starts getting thicker, too, since the walls are tapered.

The longer you can load, the less you run into these issues.

24 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Gonna run the same powder load without verifying it meets PF or is within safe pressure range?

Yes.

Going to reset a press that, presumably, is locked in for his current load?

Yes

Yes.

I know you're only a year or two into loading for USPSA, but I've done dramatic OAL shifts with pretty much every powder I've loaded 9 Minor with. It's part of standard load development for your gun. Tweaking OAL can really affect your group size - another benefit of a reamed barrel is having space to do so.

Titegroup. Clays. Solo1000. WST. Prima V... In all of those I saw such a small velocity delta that it was statiscually impossible to say they were actually happening as I changed my OAL.

I'm now personally happy setting my press up for 135pf around 1.125, and then playing with OAL between 1.100 and 1.150 and not really worrying about checking every batch over the chrono.

1 hour ago, Tanfastic said:

That's what I did, works fine, rounds spin free with 147 blues.  Probably still send the barrel to PD for reaming in the off-season just because.

Rn or FP?  What OAL did you end up at?  I currently have to run their 125rn at 1.095.

I won't have time to simply load shorter with the blues. I am already tested with load I have. I don't know how safe it would be to load to 1.10 from 1.145. I am thinking there might be a pressure issue.

Plus mentioned above I think there may be issues with bulging the case. I went thru that a couple of years ago with a cz load.

Late to the party. If your gunsmith has a fixed pilot reamer, it most likely didn't fit the barrel. When I reamed my barrels, I had to get a floating pilot with an OD less than .340. Loading to 1.100 is fine, that's still relatively long for unreamed CZs and Tanfos. Less than 1.100 is when I ran into more issues with case bulging.

1 hour ago, mike4045 said:

I won't have time to simply load shorter with the blues. I am already tested with load I have. I don't know how safe it would be to load to 1.10 from 1.145. I am thinking there might be a pressure issue.

It depends entirely on the powder you've chosen. With 3.2 titegroup you'll be just fine, as would any of the powders I listed above.

I did the legwork, loading those powders to 1.110 and 1.150 and found no discernible velocity difference at all, no pressure signs on the case or primer.

Memphis is on the money. I find that certain types of brass are more likely to fail. Aguila for me seems to be one. Empty case passes. Stuff a bullet and it fails. The round will still feed fire and extract but it ends up in a practice pile or a sacrificial lamb for the ammo eaters I have 

Loaded some 3.0 TG to 1.130 no issues with bulging. I loaded 200 to try this afternoon. I will try some in my pcc also to see if they function. I am used to loading as long as possible.

17 minutes ago, mike4045 said:

Loaded some 3.0 TG to 1.130 no issues with bulging. I loaded 200 to try this afternoon. I will try some in my pcc also to see if they function. I am used to loading as long as possible.

Sadly, both CZ and Tanfo seem to feel shorter is better. Maybe they have a set of short "tools" and it looks normal to them ??

When you get a chance, ship the barrel off to Joe at patriot defense and you can go back to loading normal long.    But, I ran 135 bayou bullets down to 1.060 and never had a feed issue.  Ever.  They do run fine short so you should be ok waiting to get it done.

@johnbu  they cut their chambers to NATO spec.  SAAMI doesn't have any influence over there.  Remember, it is a European cartridge after all. 

At least, that is the explanation that I have heard. It does not account for Glock having long chambers… But then,  Gaston clearly prized loose tolerances and AK like reliability over tight and accurate like CZ/Tanfo.