Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger???

Kurusty

8 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

I love Rugers but they have never been very oriented towards USPSA as a market.  If they sold an 8 shot 5-6" Super Redhawk in 357 or 9mm I'd probably buy one.

Okay, I can agree that NONE of the major gun companies see USPSA a market, but what "Match" is this 5 shot revolver going to "Champion"?  I don't get this one.  Is it good for Bullseye maybe?  On their site Ruger mentions the "Match Champion Series" of guns so maybe there is hope that they will build more competitive revolvers.  I spoke with one of their reps at an event and he said that they were planning to make longer barreled 8 shot Redhawks, so there is hope there.

Here in Italy the S&W importer sold the 986 model as "match ready" at 1500$

But the 5" barrell prevented it to enter in IDPA, while the heavy stainless unfluted cylinder was the least desidered thing in a IPSC fast shooting revo.

And we don't have ICORE

By the way the USA 986 is a 7 shot 9 Luger while our 986 is a 6 shot 9x21

Edited by Daniele

7 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

Okay, I can agree that NONE of the major gun companies see USPSA a market, but what "Match" is this 5 shot revolver going to "Champion"?  I don't get this one.  Is it good for Bullseye maybe?  On their site Ruger mentions the "Match Champion Series" of guns so maybe there is hope that they will build more competitive revolvers.  I spoke with one of their reps at an event and he said that they were planning to make longer barreled 8 shot Redhawks, so there is hope there.

To the best of my knowledge that revolver has no home for the shooting sports.  It's too heavy for BUG-R and only holds 5 rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Bless their hearts, they try so hard... but you really do have to wonder sometimes.

Hell, Taurus has more practical revolvers. Or they would, if they'd stop porting literally everything.

Edited by matteekay

On 6/22/2017 at 7:01 AM, jhgtyre said:

Could be very good for the RUGER SPORTS SHOOTING FOUNDATION (RSSF) matches.

• 4 weeks later...

This left me wondering when I saw it. Especially after they released an 8 shot Redhawk previously. 

Which reminds me, I need to start planning for obtaining one of the 8 shot Redhawks since I could use a .357 caliber revolver.

Nooo ... nooo ... "YOU" have to be a "Match Champion" in order to be able to fire this thing using 357 factory ammo without acquiring a life long debilitating flinch.

Now ... if they made it in 32S&W long it would be the perfect little range plinker. :lol:  

Nooo ... nooo ... "YOU" have to be a "Match Champion" in order to be able to fire this thing using 357 factory ammo without acquiring a life long debilitating flinch.

Nah, it's a Ruger. It can also be effectively used as a boat anchor.

• 4 months later...

You can't put 8 rounds in the Match Champion GP-100 frame (it's K-frame size). BUT, Ruger just introduced an 8 shot .357 Redhawk (N-frame) that is cut for moon clips. I have one. Shoots with or without moon clips (3 are supplied with the gun and Ruger has extra moon clips). Full cylinder 8 round 25 yard bench rest groups in the 2.5-inch range. Wolff has a spring kit. The factory grips suck, but Hogue has a Monogrip for it.

I like this gun. YMMV

18 hours ago, GOF said:

You can't put 8 rounds in the Match Champion GP-100 frame (it's K-frame size). BUT, Ruger just introduced an 8 shot .357 Redhawk (N-frame) that is cut for moon clips....

GP-100 takes L-frame size speedloaders. There's a 7-shot version now, too.

Does the 8 shot .357 Redhawk need Ruger specific moonclips or take the same ones as N-frame S&W?