Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polish compound for CZ

gtaylor07

I polished the internals of my SP01 with progressively finger grit sandpaper 400 to 1,200 and it had a very nice effect on everything. I did want to take it one step further and polish with a Dremel, but it didn't improve much over just the sandpaper.

I was using the red polish compound that came with the polishing kit, is that the wrong compound for this application? I didn't know if something like Mothers or Flitz would work best. I see pictures of glassy smooth mirror surfaces, so I figure there must be something better than the stuff that came with the kit.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I find most white rouge compounds to be the very best for a mirror finish. applied to a small, round, wool buffer. go in both directions as well.

as an example

https://www.pjtool.com/white-rouge-polishing-compound-4-oz.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwsqjKBRBtEiwAkWyN3xetDZWazZp1k_lRtcwUCyzSPdh5mUsevvvX_71SvYXoBseFgdzO_xoCEOgQAvD_BwE

the simplest way to get it is drive to home depot and buy this package in the polishing section and just take the white compound out of it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-buffing-kit-43657.html

be careful though as compound can really fling off so wear an apron, gloves and eye pro. and be careful in which direction you're spinning things.

Not sure if you have it over there, but I use a product calls Autosol. It's a metal polishing compound. You can also use a very tiny bit of valvle lapping compound where parts meet (eg hammer on the end/under the slide) to get full contact, but very slowly and carefully.

I use JB Bore Bright when using a felt wheel for final polishing.  No first hand experience, but numerous people including local gun smiths recommend Flitz.  Suspect all will do a good job.  Find what is easiest to get and least impact to wallet.