Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17 year old amateur from Massachusetts

Michaelvk

Welcome aboard, Mike :)

Nice to have you here ....

Suggestions:    1.  pick a subject, and read posts here for the past year or so

2.  Let us know what questions you have, and we'll get right back to you.

Whatja shootin' ?

Welcome from Kentucky, Mike!  

Ok, I have to go on the legal side of this since I feel that it is kind of my duty...since I see you say that you are 17, you can't legally own long guns or handguns in any state (18 for long guns and 21 for handguns).  Now, with that said, if your parents are in full support of you (which is great!), then have them go with you when you want to try out some handguns at a gun shop/store.  Best to try them out and get the "fit and feel" for the gun in your hand.  It is very, very easy to get sucked in (especially online) when people tell you XX Brand is awesome, go get one or YY Brand is the best out there for 3 Gun or USPSA or whatever.  

My suggestion is see what fits YOU and use that.  What you don't want to do is put XX amount of money down on a firearm and find out you are fighting with that firearm because it doesn't fit YOU but you got it because everyone else said it was a god of a gun and that you HAVE to get it because they said so.  I find that happens a lot in my firearms classes.  People will get whatever brand of gun because their buddies said to get it and then they find out they can't stand the grip or they don't like how it feels when they shoot it or they don't like the sight setup or whatever.  Guns are much more of a personal item than most people give them credit for.  And, personally, I think people shoot much better when the fits them personally (or at least the best it can).  It lets them stop fighting with the gun and concentrate on the proper fundamentals of shooting.  Now, that doesn't mean that opinions (especially here, actually) aren't important about the particulars of certain guns.  Just keep a good head on your shoulders and check out things for yourself after you read the suggestions on getting a certain type/brand/whatever. :)  That's all I'm saying.

Ok, I'm sorry this was so long and some people may agree with me and some might not, but these are just my $0.03 worth of advice.  Especially since you are younger and newer to the game.  And, of course, I fully agree with the others to be safe, first and foremost, and have fun as well.

14 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

, you can't legally own long guns or handguns in any state (18 for long guns and 21 for handguns).

That's not entirely true.  Some states allow you to own/possess a handgun if you're 18 or older, you just can't purchase one from an FFL until you're 21.

http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws/federal-law/people-prohibited-from-firearm-possession/minimum-age-to-purchase-possess/

http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/consumer-child-safety/minimum-age/

Welcome Mike. Where abouts in MA are you shooting? Handguns? Rifles? Shotguns? USPSA? IDPA? Pins? Steel? Do your parents shoot too?

I'm also a MA shooter.

-Cuz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Mike

I am from northeast CT and mainly shoot USPSA matches in MA (Harvard, Hopkinton, and Monson).

My son (who will be 12 in November) is joining a SSSF Scholastic Action Shooting Program team that is forming in North Brookfield. He will be shooting rimfire pistol, and will also be shooting Steel Challenge matches at Harvard (RFPI).

It goes without saying, but review the laws in MA pertaining to possession and transportation of firearms. At 17, it would be unlawful for you to possess firearms or ammunition outside the presence and control of your parent (or whoever is the lawful owner of the firearms). Furthermore, you will be unable to purchase ammunition of any sort in MA until you get your MA license, and will be restricted from purchasing handgun ammunition until you reach the age of 21.

1 hour ago, TennJeep1618 said:

That's not entirely true.  Some states allow you to own/possess a handgun if you're 18 or older, you just can't purchase one from an FFL until you're 21.

http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws/federal-law/people-prohibited-from-firearm-possession/minimum-age-to-purchase-possess/

http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/consumer-child-safety/minimum-age/

Tenn - I stand corrected.  You are correct.  According to federal law, you have to be a minimum of 18 to possess or own a handgun and/or handgun only ammo and it actually does not have an age limit to possess a long gun (shotgun/rifle).  

My apologies.  I was thinking of my FFL as I cannot sell a handgun to anyone under 21, nor a long gun to anyone under the age of 18 regardless of state/federal law.  But you are correct and I appreciate the correction. :)   http://www.fedcoplaw.com/html/federal_firearms_laws.html