Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Filing new PD plastic grips

I haven't done stipling or fitting of holsters so I just wanted to get some opinions before I do anything.  I received the Patriot Defense plastic grips today.  For the price and material, the quality is excellent as well as the fit and texturing.  Went on my Lim Pro with no problems and came with extra long screws.  They feel great in the hand.  The left side (I'm a righty) is great for resting the left palm on the grip swell.  The right grip I'm going to try out but may end up filing some to reduce the palm swell.  It feels good with a normal grip, but may be a little too much swell and the mag release is harder to reach.  They are definitely keepers and I'm going to try to make them work as my primary grip, but as anything with the Tanfo, with some tuning.  BTW, I where men's medium gloves.

Any recommendations on what to use to file down the palm swell on the grip?  Sandpaper by hand or dremel?  Any particularly grit or attachment you use?

Personally I'd use a belt sander.

Or a large flat surface with sandpaper glued to it, and then smaller wooden sanding blocks to form curves and the like at the end... then stipple with a soldering gun.

Unlike @SoCalShooter69 I already see a desire to carve mine up a bit too. In particular, to create about a 1/16" deep channel where my thumb wants to lie along then when hitting the mag release.

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Personally I'd use a belt sander.

Or a large flat surface with sandpaper glued to it, and then smaller wooden sanding blocks to form curves and the like at the end... then stipple with a soldering gun.

Unlike @SoCalShooter69 I already see a desire to carve mine up a bit too. In particular, to create about a 1/16" deep channel where my thumb wants to lie along then when hitting the mag release.

I carved a channel with a belt sander.  mounted the sander in a vice  and ground the thumb clearance on the curve.

18 hours ago, JusticeOfToren said:

I know PD has decided not to make thin or med swell versions, but I really wish they do.

I am running SSI scale v2 on the left side, EGD on the right. Perfect fit for my small hands.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not exactly, we're focusing on getting the Small Frame and CZ models out before we release a smaller profile palm swell grip..... all great things come in time

I've experimented with dremels, belt sanders, sand paper, etc..... Remember these are 3D printed and not completely solid. The infill is 60% so once you break through the top 4 layers of material; it leaves pretty quickly. However by switching to a finer or less course material you can then smooth it out to your liking. Also when stippling you dont need as much heat as you would on a normal polymer pistol frame, you stipple them up pretty darn quick!

Yup. I didn't see any improvement for me during the time using them. In fact it messed with my draws and reloads. Maybe in the off season I'll try again.

Going a bit off topic - but I don't have the time with family commitments, work, etc. to spend filing, sanding, and fitting. That time that I make away from those commitments is spent dry firing or going to the range. Everyone is different but for me with a wife, a young son (first child), and work I prioritize getting better rather than tinkering.

I too had a bit of getting used to the new grips. Took  a few hours and a couple minutes with the sander too.  still not done tinkering. But i don't want to go back. 

These grips fill my hand in just the right places. I had to file down the left side to get to the catch. It feels like my small frame witness now. I love them.

Going to take them to Mid-Atlantic this weekend. Hope I make weight.....

On 6/22/2017 at 8:14 AM, PatriotDefense said:

Not exactly, we're focusing on getting the Small Frame and CZ models out before we release a smaller profile palm swell grip..... all great things come in time

I held the plastic version yesterday at a match.  It felt great on the left side - definitely the best grip surface area for my weak hand palm, even for a guy with tiny hands, among all the EGD/Henning/SSI grips I own.  The concerns on the right side I had when I first saw the pictures were confirmed.  I have to rotate my strong hand slightly more to reach the mag release button, because the swell on the right side is a bit too much.  I know people will argue that the panels have very slim neck, thus right hand thumb reaching the mag release button has nothing to do with the swell on the right side.  It does for me.  So I really hope PD can reconsider making "med or thin" swell panels when the metal version comes out.  I will be totally converting to PD grips if that's the case. 

Right now, I am planning to get the PD metal grips, but only use the left side panel, with SSI scale 2.0 or EGD right side panel on.

BTW - what surface pattern will be on the metal grips?  The tiny dots/bumps on the plastic work well, but I am not sure if they will be as effective on metal surface.  I like the new Henning surface patterns, probably the most grippy among all metal Tanfo grips.   

I received my PD grips last week (thank you guys!) And my experience was similar to JusticeOfToren - They felt comfortable/consistent on the weak hand side with the increased surface area and traction due to the palm swell (previous grips were Henning checkered) but I have not been able (yet) to get comfortable with the angle/swell on my strong hand grip.

I mainly experienced the inconsistency with sped-up reloads and draw drills (4 aces/El prez/Bill drills) but it wasn't as evident when reloading on the move or shooting more deliberately. I have been hammering the dryfire with these for the past several days with one day of live fire as well.

I'm new in this game so don't take my word for it, and at $36 i think they are definitely worth a look.

+1 on the idea of making 2 sizes available to the market but from a manufacturing standpoint I can imagine what an ordeal that may be. One thing is certain, if/when PD makes that option available - ill be buying them. Again. :)

-Chase

Let me tell you guys what feels fantastic.  I put the PD grip on the left side and a Lava grip on the right...works great and for those guys concerned about weight, this is a very light weight option.  I have taken my dremel to the PD right grip panel and have taken a lot off while keeping a similar profile and smoothing it out.  I will try to file it down to the right fit for me and then stipple it.  This could be really good if it works out since all grips I've seen are mirror images of each other, but these can be custom fitted with each side being different than the other.