Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Three paper and three steel - what would you practice?

TrackCage

So here's my scenario... I shoot two USPSA matches per month, but in-between, don't have easy access to live practice beyond a static indoor range. I dry fire a couple times a week as time permits. I realize I should dry fire more regularly, but where I live it's been +100*F lately and the garage is my practice zone. Anyways, I digress...

I could try and carve out a couple additional days a month where I can drive up to some forest land (legal to shoot). From there, I could set up some basic drills. I have a shot timer, three paper target stands, and a few steel plates. I would also need to pack out what I brought in, so setting up a full-on USPSA stage isn't very likely.

My question is - what would you focus on if given this set of circumstances? Ideally looking for specific drills if any come to mind. I also included my latest match video in case you see any specific weaknesses you'd address.

My own self reflection:

• Need more burst speed between positions and finish reload before new position (both have improved as of late - still long way to go).
  • Cadence between shooting paper very slow when coming off of steel plates. Need to cut those splits.
  • Seem to drop my hands low when reloading - try to keep my hands up and bring new mag into gun without dropping hands.
  • Strong hand/weak hand - everyone could use some improvement there...

Credentials: Less than one year shooting USPSA, B class production, lefty

Buy the Stoeger book Skills and Drills.  and work through it.

It contains what you need.  With three paper and three steel you can practice everything and anything under the sun.

You should be dryfiring daily.  You don't have to do it to the point of heat exhaustion but at least do 15 minutes daily.  Get a fan.

1 hour ago, TrackCage said:
  • 1. Need more burst speed between positions and finish reload before new position (both have improved as of late - still long way to go).
  • 2.  Cadence between shooting paper very slow when coming off of steel plates. Need to cut those splits.
  • 3.  Seem to drop my hands low when reloading - try to keep my hands up and bring new mag into gun without dropping hands.
  • 4.  Strong hand/weak hand - everyone could use some improvement there...

1. Dryfire. Seriously, I'm doing the same thing. Don't waste drive time & bullets for something you can do for free at home.

2. Dry fire helps but can only feel what it is like in live fire. I'm working on transitions and can finally get the feel during live fire.

3. Dryfire again.

4. Work the gun handling in dry fire, Prove that out in live fire, can do that indoors.

As WT said, get a book, Stoeger's is good, so is Anderson's.  Create a training plan and stick to it.

No doubt, dry fire can get me some low-hanging fruit. I know this as I've experienced it already. I do have the Stoeger dry fire book, but I don't think it's the skills & drills one. I may get the chance to make it to forest land this weekend - any specific drills you guys could recommend as even if I ordered the book, I wouldn't have it in time?

Blake drill, accelerator, distance changeup, el prez, set up classifiers. The list is endless.

You have to invest the time to identify the shooting elements you need to work on and find the drills that isolate those elements.