Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is anyone still shooting Revolver Major in USPSA?

matteekay

Just curious. I'm typically the only revolver at my local matches so I don't get much of a read from the rest of the community, lol.

I've been using my 627 for USPSA but I've decided to give the 629 a go tonight - I'm a lot more accurate with it and the trigger is sooooo much nicer. Plus, my .44 Special loads are actually pretty comfortable to shoot and make a 172 PF. 

My hesitation to use it has stemmed from our classifiers - we've had more than a few that were 8 shots before reloading and I don't think major PF would overcome the extra reload.  

The last USPSA match I shot Major was the one right before I bought a 929.  In general I prefer shooting the 625 but all of those 8 shot arrays make it more favorable to shoot minor and the bullets are a good bit cheaper.  I still shoot the 625 in other games but not USPSA.

GP100 in .357 with speedloaders because I hate life.

Basically just me and one friend with a 625 having fun at our local match, so the competitive disadvantage doesn't mean much. I don't mind the 6 shots as much as I do the cases hanging up in the cylinder, thinking about trimming down my brass to .38spc length, but would still be running major because I'm cheap and already had the gun.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, gtaylor07 said:

GP100 in .357 with speedloaders because I hate life.

Basically just me and one friend with a 625 having fun at our local match, so the competitive disadvantage doesn't mean much. I don't mind the 6 shots as much as I do the cases hanging up in the cylinder, thinking about trimming down my brass to .38spc length, but would still be running major because I'm cheap and already had the gun.

When you say "cases hanging up" I assume you mean they are getting under the star? 

No, just not fully ejecting to where I have to finish pulling them out, just barely doesn't make it all the way. Basically it's the distance the star doesn't extract them out, where specials on down come out all the way. I'm giving it a pretty good hit, and most of the time it gets all 6, but whenever it leaves 1 or 2 adds a couple seconds to the reload.

1 hour ago, gtaylor07 said:

No, just not fully ejecting to where I have to finish pulling them out, just barely doesn't make it all the way. Basically it's the distance the star doesn't extract them out, where specials on down come out all the way. I'm giving it a pretty good hit, and most of the time it gets all 6, but whenever it leaves 1 or 2 adds a couple seconds to the reload.

Ah, shorter cases sound like a must then.

You missed the being cheap part haha. I've thought about getting it cut for moon clips but this is mostly just for messing around with, if I was looking to be truly competitive with it I'd be looking for a different platform.

I still shoot major in Revolver Division, but I also shoot .45 Colt in my Ruger Alaskan revolver. I have been considering getting a Ruger Redhawk 8 shot .357/.38 to shoot in Production Division (yeah, I know that sounds odd), but have not done that yet. Due to the small number of revolver shooters at recent level II matches that I have participated in (to the point where Revolver Division was not recognized), I have been shooting Single Stack in competition most of this past year. 

Had a 4" 29-3 cut for moon clips and used 44 russians with 240 lrn and 3.8 clays.

Really liked it, but moon clips were expensive and easily bent.

If you use speed loaders you would want 44 special or magnums.

14 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Had a 4" 29-3 cut for moon clips and used 44 russians with 240 lrn and 3.8 clays.

Really liked it, but moon clips were expensive and easily bent.

If you use speed loaders you would want 44 special or magnums.

Don't forget bullet selection.  Bullet selection in 44 is pretty poor if you want round bullets, and you really want round bullets if you care about your reload times.

On 7/1/2017 at 10:02 AM, jhgtyre said:

Don't forget bullet selection.  Bullet selection in 44 is pretty poor if you want round bullets, and you really want round bullets if you care about your reload times.

Yes one reason why I went to the 625.  And it's getting harder to find any RN in 44 due to the popularity of cowboy action and lever action rifles.

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2017 at 10:50 AM, matteekay said:

8-shot makes sense in Production, but why a Redhawk over a gun already cut for moons like a 627?

The 8 shot Redhawk in .357 is already cut for moonclips. The 2.75" barrel is the turn off to most people though.

Edited by Blueridge