Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Humidity

9x45

well, it's a little low today, good for the guns, but low enough to be concerned with when handling primers.

image37683.jpg

Opened the windows to cool the house down, and the %RH dropped another 4%.... For sure too low to handle primers now. But it's in the laundry room, so i just fire up the washing machine and dryer, it will right back up to 46%.

image37684.jpg

Edited by 9x45

This was the only issue I had when I was considering starting to load when I lived in Las Vegas.  I was totally paranoid (and read about issues) about the super low humidity (average is 6% to 8% daily).  I'm sure there are people in the southwest that reload (Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc), but it freaked me out because people talked about static charge and all that, so I think that is what put me off of reloading when I lived there.

Now that I'm in Kentucky, I definitely don't have to worry about that because the average is probably around 60% or above here on a daily basis. :)  I just make sure I don't reload in/around the kitchen or laundry room where the furnace and water heater is due to sparks and I figure all will be fine. :)

Plus, as darkvibe stated, I just discharge myself (man, that didn't sound good.  LOL!) before I handle any type of reloading equipment (primers, powder, anything that holds those two or even the press).  I'm used to that when dealing with electronics anyway. :) 

My press is gounded. When putting primers in, I make sure to touch the press and primer tube before pulling the release pin.

Being an electrician, here is what I know. If an object builds up static electricity it will hold the charge till it touches ground. The spark happens when the object is close to gound but not touching it. The energy jumps across the air, producing a spark. If you are not grounded you and your primers are safe. When you hold your primer tube you are safe. When your primers go in the press is where you could have a spark. Hold the tube (if you have plastic tip) inplace, touch the press with your other hand. If there is a charge, it will spark or disipait at the point you touch the press. Now primers and press have the same energy and it is safe to drop them in. Remember to ground your press.

21 hours ago, rustybayonet said:

My press is gounded. When putting primers in, I make sure to touch the press and primer tube before pulling the release pin.

Being an electrician, here is what I know. If an object builds up static electricity it will hold the charge till it touches ground. The spark happens when the object is close to gound but not touching it. The energy jumps across the air, producing a spark. If you are not grounded you and your primers are safe. When you hold your primer tube you are safe. When your primers go in the press is where you could have a spark. Hold the tube (if you have plastic tip) inplace, touch the press with your other hand. If there is a charge, it will spark or disipait at the point you touch the press. Now primers and press have the same energy and it is safe to drop them in. Remember to ground your press.

(thumbs up)  Thanks. :) Never hurts to have this info out there.