Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI mag rebuild ??

TANFARM

Rebuilding 5 of the " new " STI 9 mm 140 mags .

Gram or MBX srpings and followers???....very , very happy with my MBX mags !!....can I expect similar results by using theses internals in my STI's or use Grams.

Kicking myself for not getting more MBX mags instead of STI. I know better....very disappointed ..........

Thanks in advance

I always recommend Gram's, he is the originator of the best aftermarket spring and followers.  There is a reason his nickname is the MagMaster.

Be mindful though Grams nor MBX (if those even fit in a non-MBX mag without major mods) internal will NOT fix an inherent problem in a tube, if there is one.

Good luck

8 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I communicated with Grams and MBX today about an issue I'm having and both indicated that their spines/followers are not compatible with the new STI tubes.

What issues are you having? I just built up 3 new sti tubes with grams guts and dawson pads and have yet to shoot. Wish i would have known this. Lol

My issue is early lock back with this situation.  I did try a Grams kit in one of my 40 mags and it slipped right out of the feed lips....

15 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I communicated with Grams and MBX today about an issue I'm having and both indicated that their springs/followers are not compatible with the new STI tubes.

Perfect.........

I have three of the new sti tubes with grams guts and they all work flawlessly. I honestly like them better than my MBX mags. You still have to modify the follower to not lock back but 5 minutes each with a dremel fixes that. 

On 6/21/2017 at 6:17 PM, RangerTrace said:

I communicated with Grams and MBX today about an issue I'm having and both indicated that their springs/followers are not compatible with the new STI tubes.

Trace, why are the new sti tubes "not compatible" with grams spring kits? 

48 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

Trace, why are the new sti tubes "not compatible" with grams spring kits? 

Grams would have to give you the technical information, he just said he wasn't going to change his follower design to make them work in the new tubes.  

2 minutes ago, Scott Steele said:

Dawson precision says they have the new generation tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called them last week and they told me they have new ones but are not selling them yet until they sell the old style inventory first.

Edit- I'm talking about 9/38

Edited by louu

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2017 at 6:17 PM, RangerTrace said:

Grams work just won't drop empty. Just sand to corner of follow touches slide lock. Works like a champ now