Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Chioce question

sheepdog69

im building a 2011, what barrel system and why? i plan on shooting limited then to open soon

40 S&W

KKM or Schuemann   any other choice?   

bull or bushing?   cone or ?

any advice, links to help me choose would be great 

alos grip? STI or PT? is there a mag difference? can an STI style frame with grip be canted to be more like a CZ or Tanfo? this is just a curoius question 

For Limited, if you want a heavy front end, go with a bull barrel.  If you prefer a more balanced gun, go with bushing.  For Open, a coned comp on a standard barrel has the lowest weight.  Since the barrel moves during cycle, that's important.

In addition to those you listed above, both Kart and Barsto make excellent barrels.

15 minutes ago, sheepdog69 said:

Thanks zzt, have any idea where I can find coned comp barrels. I would be interested in checking them out too

The cone comp barrels he is referring to are a standard profile barrel with a conversion cone added (http://egwguns.com/1911-parts/conversion-cone/ ). Then they don't require a bushing and can accept a standard bull barrel compensator.

As for the grip decide if you like the weight. I don't like it on my limited guns but a lot of people love the steel grips. 

If you are having the gun built, may just see what your gunsmith prefers. Both my cheely and bedell have schuemen barrels

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, igolfat8 said:

If you have a 5" gun, do you use a 5" standard bushing barrel to fit the cone to or do you have to use a longer or shorter barrel to fit the cone to?

I asked EGW what length barrel to use for a cone and gov't slide and got this in return:

"You can use a 5” barrel with no issues. That is what they are actually designed for. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Best regards,

Staff

Evolution Gun Works, Inc."

• 1 month later...

Schuemann Barrels are at the top of the food chain. They used to be the only barrel company that made the Hybrid (island syle) barrels. Now SV also makes an Island (Hybrid style) barrel. KKM barrels are know to be fast barrels but on my last 3 guns I went with Schuemann Barrels in both my Limited and the Hybrid for my OPEN guns. I have never  had the first complaint with vey decission to go with Schuemann's.  I have no knowledge on the EGW barrels. CHEERS

Edited by a matt

EGW does not make barrels. The do make comps, coned comps and conversion cones.

igolf, if you have a 5" gun you start with a 5" barrel.  It is then threaded for the length of the cone.  You have a choice of a conversion cone (so you can use different comps, or a coned comp.  This setup is lighter and faster cycling than using a bull barrel with a comp.  I have both and the coned barrel is decidedly quicker.