Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fired Brass Problems with 610 using 40 S&W

eggman

I am getting tight primer pockets with my fired 40 S&W brass in a S&W 610 . After about 3 or 4 firings the primer pockets seem to get tighter and when I seat a Federal primer it will start to crush or it will shave brass from the pocket . I use single headstamp  once fired brass from a reliable source and it doesn't matter if it is Win, R-P , or Federal . I have not tried new Starline brass .I am loading 4.5 grs N-320 with a 180 gr Ibejiheads coated LRN bullet with a 1.145 OAL. 

I'm thinking it has to do with the convex firing pin bushing S&W uses as my fired primers are very flattened when I know it isn't pressure signs.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this ?

I am getting tight primer pockets with my fired 40 S&W brass in a S&W 610 . After about 3 or 4 firings the primer pockets seem to get tighter and when I seat a Federal primer it will start to crush or it will shave brass from the pocket . I use single headstamp  once fired brass from a reliable source and it doesn't matter if it is Win, R-P , or Federal . I have not tried new Starline brass .I am loading 4.5 grs N-320 with a 180 gr Ibejiheads coated LRN bullet with a 1.145 OAL. 
I'm thinking it has to do with the convex firing pin bushing S&W uses as my fired primers are very flattened when I know it isn't pressure signs.
I was wondering if anyone else has run into this ?

I have had the same problems, the primers won't go all the way in on some brass, mostly Winchester stamp. When I feel resistance when priming I check to make sure they are seated and if it doesn't look good I chuck them. I would say about 3-5% of my multi fired brass

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Kurusty said:

I have had the same problems, the primers won't go all the way in on some brass, mostly Winchester stamp. When I feel resistance when priming I check to make sure they are seated and if it doesn't look good I chuck them. I would say about 3-5% of my multi fired brass

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I would say 3 to 5% of my fired brass is the problem brass as well . The percentage increases the more times it's fired . With my mag fed pistols I might have problems with a few tight primer pockets with new or once fired but decreases each time the brass is fired ...but not so with this revolver . 

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Would it be worth it to get a small primer pocket reamer? I have a 610 (new to me), and haven't had too much time lately to mess around with it.

I have one that is for small rifle primer pockets when I shot benchrest . That might work until I can find one for small pistol pockets. I'm thinking there is a difference dimensionally but can't remember for certain.

if you have any 10mm brass then try and see if will do the same with it.   Normally if you use a fast powder, it will leak around the primer and you will see it on the firing pin bushing.   My bushings look like they are pitted as I us VVn310 and have recently switched over to 320 to try and get my super brass to stop destroying primer pockets.  the flash holes on my brass will start to bulge outwards and not let the primers seat below flush.