Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 slide stop falling out

Jonesjohnm

Mmmm so this is very strange... I recently acquired a used gun. It's visually in exceptional condition and functions flawlessly. I notice on the initial cleaning that the slide stop literally can fall out. If I hold my gun parallel with my bench surface and rack the slide a few times, the slide stop falls out. I pulled a slide stop from another STI, it does the same thing. I took the slide stop from the initial gun (the one it falls out of) and put it in another gun and could not recreate it. It seems to be an issue with the gun. Other than barrel link mis sized, worn out, what could cause this. The safety detent spring was replaced too. What am I missing guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried that too Tyler, no dice. That's why I'm thinking about the barrel link. There are only 4 points on contact here that I can imagine could even impact this situation.

1.Slide stop through frame cuts
2.Detent pin to slide stop
3.Slide stop through barrel link
4. Slide stop to barrel

We've ruled out:
Slide stop
Detent pin/ spring

Leaving the barrel link, barrel cut, or frame cut.

All of these LOOK the same as all my other 2011s though. No wear visible.

There is only contact between the slide stop pin and lower lugs at lock-up.  The barrel link and SS pin should only be in solid contact at link down.  So, the detent/spring has to provide enough tension to keep the SS from coming out.  I know you said you replaced the spring, but what about both detent pins.  Someone might have reduced one or the other to make the SS easier to remove.  Also, check to make sure the dimple in the edge of the slide stop is in the right spot to catch the detent when it's installed. 

I spoke with Zane at STI, he's sending me a free shipping label and they are going to handle it under warranty. CUSTOMER FREAKING SERVICE right there boys. He said they've seen it before and it's actually a frame issue. The hole that the SS pin inserts into opens up because it wasn't squarely drilled. So I'll most likely end up with a new frame and lower parts.