Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 - technique for racking slide

abigger04

Hey all,

I recently purchased a Shadow 2 for USPSA production.  This is one of the best feeling pistols I think I have ever used.  One question though:  Is there a specific technique to racking the slide over the top by the front serrations?  I've never had difficulty with this type of manipulation my other pistols, but on this model it is particularly difficult.  Any insight would be appreciated.

That seems to be what I'm doing... is it possible that the shadow needs to be broken in to loosen up the recoil spring?  Or should the recoil spring be replaced with a lesser spring weight?

That seems to be what I'm doing... is it possible that the shadow needs to be broken in to loosen up the recoil spring?  Or should the recoil spring be replaced with a lesser spring weight?

I have the same difficulty too, but after a match it got easier... I think it needs to be broken in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, abigger04 said:

Both. Many people go with a lighter recoil spring such as an 11, or 10 pound.

i was used to using the web of my hand between thumb and index finger of my left hand (right handed shooter) on the forward serrations of my sp01 shadows. Due to the change in slide profile I now pinch the rear serrations with my left hand thumb and index finger. Like when doing unloaded starts.

13 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

i was used to using the web of my hand between thumb and index finger of my left hand (right handed shooter) on the forward serrations of my sp01 shadows. Due to the change in slide profile I now pinch the rear serrations with my left hand thumb and index finger. Like when doing unloaded starts.

That is exactly the only way I'm able to articulate the slide from the forward serrations on this pistol.  Hopefully after the break in period it will loosen up.  

I have a habit and prefer to pinch the front serrations with thumb pad and side of left hand trigger finger, however the S2 cuts me up pretty good so I can't do that very aggressively or frequently.  My fallback is pinching the rear serrations, which are less aggressively cut.

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I'm running a 10# recoil spring and it is a lot easier

I just got my Shadow 2 this week and the slide is pretty stiff.  That will break in of course.  What's the factory recoil spring weight?

My Shadow2 was delivered extremely dry from the factory.  Been using SLIP2000 EWG or CGW's SS-Lube Moly Grease on the slide as of late and it racks with ease. Still in the break in stage and my Target II is slicker with many more miles.