Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Weight

I got my new "FrontSight" today that included a breakdown of the equipment and ammo used by the PCC shooters in the Optic Nationals.  33% used 115 gr., 29% used 124 gr., and 22% used 147 gr.  From reading the threads here, It seemed most were going to 147 gr.   I'm relatively new to PCC and have been O.K. with 124 gr.  What is the advantage of the light bullet?  A related topic was the Primer used.  48% used CCI and 30% Winchester.  I've been using WSP for 20 years with no issues until this past weekend.  On the last large field course, I had a ammo malfunction on the last shot.  I disassembled the round and the primer cup did not contain any explosive material or anvil.  I've never seen this before.  What's the perceived advantage of CCI over Winchester?

my choice of 135 grain projectiles is my long standing perception that the longer bearing surface bullets should be more accurate... when I started with the PCC, I shot and loaded what I liked in my pistol...I'm still shooting primers from the Clinton days...

I think any bullet weight can be tuned around to get a smooth shooting PCC.

I'm currently using 135s, entirely because I can load them with the same powder throw as my 147gr production load and make 129pf.

I shoot mainly 115 grain loads, but if a stage at our club shoot has a spinner I shoot 160 grain. I have a 100 grain load I like a lot, but I still have 3000 rounds of 115 grain loaded, so it's going to be probably about two months before I do anything else. I haven't checked split times with anything but the 115's, and my fastest splits with those are .10 and .11 on paper double taps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as bullet weight I go with 124/125gr because I like them in Production. I do have 2000+ Delta Precision 115's so I'll work on a load later. As far as primers, I have been using CCI because I shoot a DA/SA Tanfo and save my "softer" primers for that. I have about 15,000 CCI that I've had for several years. So now I use them in my Sig MPX, just don't need soft primers in that gun.