Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this a good deal?

HawkMoney

I am just getting into shooting open and I'm Thinking about buying this old 38 super open gun from a guy locally. He wants $1800 for the whole package. Obviously it's a little dated. But the details are:

Hard chrome

sti frame

accurailed

caspian slide

egw barrel and comp

egw trigger parts

red buff scope mount.

would this be a good purchase to get started in open? Decent price?

Thanks for the help!

-Ivan 

IMG_5340.JPG

IMG_5341.JPG

IMG_5342.JPG

Edited by HawkMoney

Do you know who built it and round count

looking at the pictures it looks like an old EGW gun, the fact that it's a super should not be a deal breaker if you get your brass back at your local matches

Seems like a decent deal. Email EGW with the pics. I am sure George would be more than willing to let you know if he built it or Jim Milks did when he was there. I am at EGW alot and George is always willing to help. I don't think he build many guns on 2011 frames, but he would know best.

You can always re-barrel it, reuse the comp, then just have barrel fit by a competent gun smith. A KKM barrel would be under $200, plus maybe another $150-250 for fitting the barrel. Either way you could shot it for a while as a super and decide if you like open ans not have alot of money invested.

Good luck.

it looks like it may be a cone comp.

interesting gun. my only concern would be slide as those cuts basically go right across the top with little meat left in the middle. 

otherwise it's a 2011 with a decent comp and accurails. not much has really changed in 2011's since the 90s. a few small parts and niceties but nothing major. no reason it couldn't be a competitive gun.

I agree I'd suggest see if you can handle it and shoot it before deciding. I think it's pretty good value. 

Egw built solid guns back in the day, I've seen a few and they were all top notch

the only thing I'd change on it's the scope mount, the red buff is a little bulky, but unfortunately the mount replaces the plunger tube.  The the one I've see replaced cut the mount off above the plunger tube and then they drilled and tapped the dust cover for the scope mount

btw 5k is nothing on an open gun, it barely broken in

If it runs, I think it a really good deal.  Yes, the brass is expensive at $149/1000.  If you hang around after the match you can collect your brass.  Even if you shoot three lost brass matches in a year, that's still only $100-$150 in lost brass.  If you decide you like Open, you can rebarrel it to 9mm at any time.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to meet up with him to shoot it and see how it feels and also email egw to see if they can tell me anything about the gun. Looking forward to giving open a try. 

18 hours ago, rishii said:

Egw built solid guns back in the day, I've seen a few and they were all top notch

the only thing I'd change on it's the scope mount, the red buff is a little bulky, but unfortunately the mount replaces the plunger tube.  The the one I've see replaced cut the mount off above the plunger tube and then they drilled and tapped the dust cover for the scope mount

btw 5k is nothing on an open gun, it barely broken in

Thanks! That's the info I was looking for about the red buff scope mount..