Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuff I learned from loading 160gr SNS 9mm for my Glock 34

TobyJ

I'm far from being an expert on reloading, and this bullet taught me a lot.  Most of this is probably stuff you more experienced guys already knew, but I had to learn.  I'm thinking that the normal 'shorter' bullets (124-147gr) keep these things from becoming issues, whereas the really long 160 gr makes them stand out.  

I'm still loading on a Lee turret with lee dies, so some of this might not apply to all...

1.  They seem to like 2.7gr of titegroup at an OAL of 1.13, at least in my G34 (129PF)

2.  This load is noticeably softer than 3.5gr under 135's, making the same-is PF

3. If you scratch the coating, they will keyhole

4.  Even when they keyhole, they stay pretty accurate out to 15 yards or so, I was expecting them to be 'fliers' but they weren't...just nice, nearly perfect 'side views' of the bullet through the cardboard.

5.  If you notice that the coating is getting scratched, the answer is not more flare.  I tried that, and found that it just allowed the bullet to get even more out of wack when going into the seater die.

6. When placing the bullet on the case prior to seating, set it there lightly, and then move the ram smoothly, increasing speed as the bullet starts to seat.  I  was trying to get the bullet as straight as possible before running it into the die, and found that even a little pressure into the case, kept the bullet seater from doing it's job (straightening the bullet)  resulting in scratched coating. Once the bullet has started to seat, you can speed up the ram, but I sort of like being able to 'feel' it go in.  

Hopefully, someone can learn from my mistakes, and if anyone has any more tips...I'd love to hear them.

TobyJ

scratches, or anything that does not touch the bore, or the  base of the bullet, will not cause any problems. And you only need enough bell to seat the bullet, and enough de-bell (crimp) to remove the bell and case gage. Not being smart, but why didn't you get a Dillon progressive?

The scratches I was getting were along the side of the bullet, where it rides against the bore.  I figured out why they were happening, but went ahead and took a couple to the range, to see what they'd do..hence why I was able to see the tumble. 

As for why no Dillon...money and experience.  I started out with a single stage, and was able to step up into the turret for about $100.  And being that I was (and still am) fairly new to reloading, the slower pace of the turret is not a bad thing.  I can still load a couple hundred rounds an hour. But yes, a Dillon is on my radar...they are just up the road from me.

TobyJ

You'll be allot happier when you produce a loaded round every time you crank the handle.... Besides you live in Mesa, and their are always plenty of USPSA hosers upgrading their machines from 550 to 650 to 1050's, so you could probably swoop a pretty good deal on a used one.

Edited by 9x45