Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new 9mm ss rock

johnbu

New to 1911's....

So far I've detail stripped it after 200 rnds. Did a quick polish on the trigger bow, its channel and a few other spots to smooth out the action. Not touching the sear or hammer hooks too easy for well intentioned idiot like me to really mess up. Or so im told. Lol.

The trigger started over 6# and after smoothing is at 4#12oz. I'd prefer 2 -1/2 to 3#. At least it's crisp. Suggestions? Or is it a visit to a real smith deal to drop below 3?

Did run into fail to extract / stove pipe problems. Found case removal force from the slide to be 9-10 oz, using a wire in a modified case and trigger gage to measure.  Bent the extractor and got to 26-28 oz. Should be good, but need to run it to see.

The gun's pretty solid.  But how much monkeying around is needed with them? Just wondering. By the way, it will be a steel challenge gun for my son. 

I've used a tuned fire control group from Brazos in several 1911s...that has brought the pull weight way down...as far as I am comfortable with and is very crisp. I don't have a trigger pull gage to measure it but I'd guess it at around 2 to 2-1/2 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up Atlas' video on youtube for leaf spring tuning. You'll be able to drop a few more oz with the tuning. But you're best best is a trigger kit. Brazos' is one of the best since he takes the time to cut the proper angles on a jig before it gets to you. If I recall it's $150, well worth the cost.

I wouldn't mess with cutting or polishing the stock FCG since it is of unknown quality & dimensional correctness.

I used the directions HERE to get a pretty darn good trigger on a RIA 9mm for my wife. I didn't have a sear jig at the time so I skipped that part, the trigger is pretty clean at 2.5lb now. not a glass break uber awesome trigger but worlds better than stock.

Thanks for the replies.  Will look into things.

Ran 150 rounds after the extractor tune and had zero extraction problems.

However...

The factory mag will feed the top (full mag of 10) round fine, but the next round is nose diving into the bottom of the feed ramp and no making it to the chamber.  The  round is visibly nose down with the to round in the mag before insertion.  Sometimes the mag will feed two then jamb the 3rd into the feed ramp.  I have some Tripp mags on the way.  is this a factory mag issue (Mec-gar) with the plastic follower or a gun tune issue>?

Was expecting mags today.  They were "in transit" from PA to WI.  Today they stopped off in OPA LOCKA FLORIDA !   WTF???   Good grief.  Some schmuck threw it on the wrong truck.  

Polished the center raised rib (again) and further increased the chamfered bottom edge of the breech face.   Also cleaned the mag (it wasn't bad, just a light dusting of residue) and I did rub some plastic polish over the follower too.  Ran 135 rounds and didn't any extraction issues and went 110 rounds before getting a fail to feed with the bullet ramming into the feed ramp.

Took the gun to my local gunsmith and he determined that the magazine is causing the bulk of issues.  The nose diving of the round under the top.  The plastic follower in the factory Mec-gar mag allows the ammo to dip. badly. 

Quick update.

Got 4 Tripp Cobra mags. All work perfectly with 10 in them. And they are pretty easy to seat.

Got a Dawson mag. It too has been perfect, but the rounds do nose south more than the Tripp.

The mec-gar.... well, it will be a good "Barney" mag. I tried to get it working by loading long... no improvement.  the top to next rounds start separating by 3 in the mag and it gets worse and worse.

Aside from the factory mag stinking,  the gun is good.  took 3 detail strip / tune /  polish cycles but the trigger dropped from 6# 4oz to right under 4#. Decent but not great. However, it has 100% factory parts (except the 8# recoil spring), a better sear / hammer would help drop the trigger force.

Oh, and i swapped in a Dawson 0.100" front post. Instant accuracy improvement with side light visible.