Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how to figure out what # recoil spring works best

Sandbagger123

When i used to shoot limited i just did the quick double into a target to determine which weight spring to use.  worked well.  now with my open gun it seems a little more thought is needed .  i tend to hit a lot of A/C usually A first and C low left.  i am using a 8 # variable now. 

So is there a test to determine what weight works best?

Where's the dot when the gun goes boom #2?

low is probably too much spring, low left is probably too much spring and trigger mash.... or it's all just trigger mash.  What's the dot do in dry fire with the same double trigger pull?

7 hours ago, drewbeck said:

Where's the dot when the gun goes boom #2?

low is probably too much spring, low left is probably too much spring and trigger mash.... or it's all just trigger mash.  What's the dot do in dry fire with the same double trigger pull?

dot is on target. 8 is pretty low already for major .  its could be mashing 

7 minutes ago, Sandbagger123 said:

dot is on target. 8 is pretty low already for major .  its could be mashing 

I've been using Wolff 7# variables on two Open Major guns for some time, no problems.  For me and my guns, it helps the dot track better.

Do double taps @ 7/10 yards with someone watching the target.  If the 2nd shot is high, you then need a heavier recoil spring, if the 2nd shot is low you need a lighter spring.  Usually 1lb up or down will work unless there is a tremendous difference in the 2 rounds, then you might need a 2 or 3 pound difference.