Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open or limited holster question

sheepdog69

Simple question

race master or Alfa X 

i realize most have used the race master but who has tried both and which do you like 

or is there another model/brand you prefer

i shoot production now and moving to limited.   Will be shooting open soon.  

I've used both and definitely prefer the Alpha X.  If you already had a Race Master, the benefit of upgrading is smaller. 

The adjustment mechanism on the Alpha X is easier to use and more solid/less prone to coming loose.

Alpha X.  I have had both and I found the alpha x is much easier to set up.  You can also remove the alpha x from the hanger and not lose any settings. This is nice if you travel and don't want it to get beat up. You cant do that with the regular race master.  They both use the exact same retention device and they are interchangeable. So as far as the draw feel they are the same.    

• 4 weeks later...

The Alpha-X looks great and reviews are good.  With the adjustments being good, are some of you using it for both Open and Limited?  Or do you find yourself getting separate rigs for each?

5 hours ago, bcp said:

The Alpha-X looks great and reviews are good.  With the adjustments being good, are some of you using it for both Open and Limited?  Or do you find yourself getting separate rigs for each?

I use the same rig for open and limited.  No changes for each division.

I have both and use both.  The Alpha-X is more rugged, but interferes with some thumb rests when the gun is in certain positions.  The Race Master is fiddley, and requires more frequent tightening, but it interferes with nothing.

BTW, if you wear a floppy belt, you do not want the Alpha-X.

Interesting. I have used the Race Master since 2010. It was problematic with my Para-framed guns due to the curved trigger guard and guard thickness variations between guns, but the body stayed put. I got an STI magnetic block for it in January 2015 when I got my new pistol. It has yet to move at all from the original position. And I am not overly careful with the belt and stuff. The hanger is 7 years old and still solid.

If sheepdog is reading this: What did you get?