Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DFW range questions

I'm looking for a range that will allow running drills, drawing from holster, rapid fire, etc.  I really miss having open desert, gravel pits, etc where you can setup to practice whatever you want.  I've researched quite a bit in the DFW area and most ranges don't allow any of this or there are a few clubs that are either private with a long waitlist to join or it's over $100 monthly in fees.

What are my options for running live fire drills in DFW?  I live in Roanoke (north Ft Worth) at 35 and 114 by the racetrack.  Thanks!

That's one I wasn't aware of.  Thanks.

It's about 50 miles from me but I will certainly keep it in mind.  Other than distance, it sounds ideal.  

can't verify this yet but check with Proactive Defense which is just up the hill form the Quail Creek range south of Denton.

A friend I shoot with told me that for about $40/mo. you can do what you want - as long as you are still being safe.

That location is a strong consideration.  One thing I don't like is the hours are kind of strange...

Monday: Closed, Tuesday and Wednesday: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm, Thursday and Friday: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm, Saturday and Sunday: 8:00 am – 6:00pm

There are 3 levels of membership but I need to call and get some clarity...

Patriot Membership:
$40 a month, includes one complimentary lesson with one of our highly qualified & skilled firearms instructors. (This is a $75 value.)
$10/hour range fee 

Frequent Shooter Membership:
$65 a month
5 complimentary - $10/hour range fee waived

Most members favorite...Elite Membership:
$125 a month
Unlimited range time, no range fees

If Proactive Defense was open on Monday and it didn't cost $125 a month, I probably wouldn't even have posted the question here.  The location is ideal.  The range rules are ideal.  I haven't talked to them yet but I will ask them some questions...maybe it's the perfect place and I just don't know it yet.

In the meantime, keep the ideas coming.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second TDSA in Ferris. I used to be a member there and really enjoyed it. Only reason I don't shoot there anymore is because I joined another private club/range that's cheaper after having been on a waiting list for a couple years.

I'm not at all familiar with what may be available in your part of DFW, though. So I don't know if there are any similar private ranges relatively affordable in that area. Further south of you in the Mansfield area is the Arlington Sportsman's Club. Last I checked, I believe their annual dues were around $120 or so - very affordable. But I don't know if they have a waiting list. I only mention them since they may be closer to you than TDSA and ETTS.

Thanks for your reply.  You bring up a good point...I also need to be thinking about if there is a private waiting list I should get on.  

What led you to apply to that club? 

I applied to and eventually joined the Terrell Rifle and Pistol Club after a co-worker friend of mine, who is also a member offered to sponsor me. It's further away from me than TDSA is (an hour's drive for me), but the annual dues are much less. But who knows, maybe with the added cost in gas and the extra 30 minute drive it could be a wash? Anyway, I had attended Terrell's CMP Garand match a few years before I joined and liked what I saw, so despite the long drive, I figured the CMP Garand matches, more scenic range, comraderie of joining a club-owned range and lower dues was worth it. Otherwise, I would've been happy staying with TDSA and wouldn't hesitate going back if the Terrell club ever disbanded for whatever reason (hopefully unlikely to happen).

Don't know anything about the Haltom City Rifle and Pistol Club, nor do I know if they allow running drills and holster draws, but I think they may be only half an hour away from you. I also don't know if they have a waiting list, but their website doesn't indicate they have one. Their annual dues are only $200, which is very reasonable for the DFW area, but the initial, one-time new member dues and annual dues are over $500 according to their website. To join, they recommend you go to one of their monthly meetings to fill out an application and pay an application fee. I suppose you could ask them there about their club range rules and whether they allow running drills and holster draws.

There's also Parker County Sportsmen's Club in Weatherford, which may or may not be closer to you than TDSA in Ferris. Don't know much about that club, either, but thought I'd mention it in case it may be another viable option for you.

Thanks for the replies.  I know someone in the Haltom City club.  My understanding is that they do NOT allow holster draws, etc.  That's a pretty active club but I think it's more aligned with silhouette, bullseye, etc.  Cool stuff but probably not the place for action pistol practice.

I've thought about getting on the wait list for Dallas Pistol Club.  Should have done it a year ago.  I will send that in this week.  Thanks.  In the meantime, unless something else gets my attention, I will probably use Proactive Defense and TDSA ranges.  ETTS is also an option but further out.

8 hours ago, bcp said:

Thanks for the replies.  I know someone in the Haltom City club.  My understanding is that they do NOT allow holster draws, etc.  That's a pretty active club but I think it's more aligned with silhouette, bullseye, etc.  Cool stuff but probably not the place for action pistol practice.

I've thought about getting on the wait list for Dallas Pistol Club.  Should have done it a year ago.  I will send that in this week.  Thanks.  In the meantime, unless something else gets my attention, I will probably use Proactive Defense and TDSA ranges.  ETTS is also an option but further out.

Haltom City told me I'd have to remove and bag my duty pistol before entering the range and absolutely no holster work....."because it's dangerous".  Its a shame too, but it's 1 mile from my office.

Feel free to send me a PM when you want to shoot at DPC.  Weekday afternoons are best but unfortunately very toasty right now....

On 7/5/2017 at 7:05 AM, RangerTrace said:

Just get on the list for Dallas Pistol Club.  The first year is a little costly because of the initiation fee, but it's only $275 a year after that.  It's at the George Bush and Belt line in Carrolton.  

I just sent in my request to be on their wait list.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

The JCSSA range hosts a USPSA match in Cleburne on the first Saturday of every month.

CTASA hosts a USPSA match on the 3rd Sunday of each month out at CCC Tactical range in Cresson, TX.

Therse are the closest to you that I know of and I believe there are some at ETTS in Waxahachi also.

You should be able to find all of those in Practiscore.

• 1 month later...

Hopping onto this subject somewhat tangentially. I’ll be in the DFW area 13-22 of April. It sounds like there’s a Sat match at ETTS as well as Cresson. Are there others within approximately an hour from the DFW/Coppell area during this timeframe?