Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness gold open question

Can the comp be taken off of this gun to shoot limited? Witness gold ? I see it has a ported barrel so I know the barrel has to be swapped for a non ported. How much work to shoot 9mm from this 40 frame ? 

It comes with a comped non ported barrel as well.  The factory comps are silver soldered and not easy to remove but can be done.  However they are cone comps rather than bull barrels.  Once you have the comp off you wouldn't be able to shoot the gun.  I think Your best bet would be to weld up the top of the comp on the non ported barrel for limited.

Class I'm not to worried about but I want to shoot both limited and open, the question was can I switch back and fourth between 9 and 40 with a gold with out too much effort or cost

i shoot 9 limited now. It want a better gun ...eventually I want to shoot open. 40 is my end goal caliber due to power factor, cost to reload over 38 super etc

If you have a 9mm Limited now, the best way to shoot Open is to buy a 9mm barrel/comp for it.

Are you currently looking loading your own ammo?  I don't suggest shooting factory ammo in a Gold Team of any caliber, you'd be better off adding a dot to a Limited gun.

oh i plan on loading my own, i have a dillon 650 all ready to go... in the box  lol also checking into the T1 ammo company. so kneeling... is open best shot in 9mm? or 40? 

im starting to see that is or what seems to be more prevelant

thanks

1 hour ago, sheepdog69 said:

oh i plan on loading my own, i have a dillon 650 all ready to go... in the box  lol also checking into the T1 ammo company. so kneeling... is open best shot in 9mm? or 40? 

thanks

9, no doubt, if you're not using a v12 gt.

5 hours ago, sheepdog69 said:

thanks

I shoot 9mm exclusively at this point, although in the Gold Team I think 38 super performs better than 9 because of all the holes.  I've owned a 9mm GT, shot a GT in 38, but I prefer custom Open guns based on a 9mm Limited.

There's actually a pretty nice one for sale right here with everything you need to shoot Limited and Open in 9mm: 

interesting, so then do most shoot 40 in limited? i love my 9's and im geared up for it. i do own a few 40s but again my favorite is 9mm. its what i carry , its what i shoot in speed steel.... is there a link to the 9 for sale ? ill look for it and see what i find 

1 hour ago, sheepdog69 said:

interesting, so then do most shoot 40 in limited? i love my 9's and im geared up for it. i do own a few 40s but again my favorite is 9mm. its what i carry , its what i shoot in speed steel.... is there a link to the 9 for sale ? ill look for it and see what i find 

In Open the minimum caliber for Major scoring is .38, in Limited it's .40 (.357 sig included), most people shoot .40 in Limited for the Major scoring, most people shoot 9/38 in Open for the capacity advantage.

While it's tempting to put together a presto-chango, caliber-swapping, one gun fits two divisions pistol, I don't advise it. It's more than just caliber which separates Limited and Open guns, Limited guns used added weight at the muzzle to mitigate muzzle flip whereas Open guns use a compensator, so more weight in the muzzle just slows you down.

awesome advice Kneeling  thanks for the replys  do you shoot open or limited?  maybe i just need to jump right into open and call it happy. i want tp play with the big boys anyway... at least thats what i consider to be the big boys. whether there better shooters over limited or not is speculation.....

57 minutes ago, sheepdog69 said:

awesome advice Kneeling  thanks for the replys  do you shoot open or limited?  maybe i just need to jump right into open and call it happy. i want tp play with the big boys anyway... at least thats what i consider to be the big boys. whether there better shooters over limited or not is speculation.....

Put a production rig in the hands of 75% of open shooters, let alone any mag less than 28 - and watch them go into full meltdown. Sans the elderly, fundamentally sound shooters, and handicapped - most people are in open for two reasons; less or no reloads, and a optic supported by compensation. 

That said, it's prob the funnest division you can shoot. Enjoy if you male the jump. 

so SoCal, what is the best division in your opinion and why? one of my good friends keeps wanting me to shoot limited and i think thats what i shoot in speed steel. im ok without an optic, i actually prefer it even though im blind as a bat....i always envisioned that the open shooters were the best of the best because of gun etc.... maybe   LOL im blind again

my goal is to be in the best division to become the best shooter i can with the best equipment 

Production is hard in a whole different way than Open is hard. And Revolver is hard in a different way than those.

The best shooters don't all shoot open. Many, like my own division preferences indicate, are addicted to Production... or they're Limited lovers like Vogel.

You won't find all the best guys in any one division. Shoot a little in each with borrowed gear. Then set yourself up with a gun and rig for the one that makes your inner child grin like a fool when you load & make ready.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Production is hard in a whole different way than Open is hard. And Revolver is hard in a different way than those.

The best shooters don't all shoot open. Many, like my own division preferences indicate, are addicted to Production... or they're Limited lovers like Vogel.

You won't find all the best guys in any one division. Shoot a little in each with borrowed gear. Then set yourself up with a gun and rig for the one that makes your inner child grin like a fool when you load & make ready.

100% correct. Shoot what gives you the most pleasure. I hate revo, but my buddy LOVES it. I appreciate that. 

5 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

If you're even considering Open, you'll love it!  Poor eyesight? Even more reason.

Welcome to the dark side :devil:

And if you're poor, (like me) there is carry  optics.

On 6/21/2017 at 7:14 PM, johnbu said:

And if you're poor, (like me) there is carry  optics.

I was going to say, come shoot Bropen with us broke guys! Guess it's a compromise between open and production, but it's fun!