Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roast Me (Production C classifier videos)

Weeman

So I caught a couple stages on GoPro video at a local classifier match today. Based on the results I wanted to post a couple of the stages up here to see what kind of focus points you guys might suggest. I find the hardest thing for me is keeping a stage plan in my head longer than the memory of a goldfish (as evidenced by the DF video). I'm not too sure how to work on this in dry fire, as I don't really have the capacity to set up a stage and run through it myself.

Here's the first classifier, Disaster Factor. I only shot the first array with one shot each the first time for some reason, and had to double back and hit all three again.:blush:

HF 3.92, which came out to 41.9%

Here's the second classifier, Madness. This one was completely on the opposite end of the class spectrum. HF of 5.16 which came out to 58.8%

I find myself not being able to carry speed through an array of targets, as seen in the video. (I have a tendency to speed up as I go) Is there something that you guys like to do training-wise to remedy that?

Sorry for the long rambling post. Thanks in advance for any input you guys may have.

-Kenny

What were your hits/points like on both runs? Just giving us the % doesn't tell us much.

Your turning draw and your reload are where you need to focus. The turning draw is about a full second slower than it should be: I know how fast my first person video spins in a turning draw and it much faster than yours... and my turning draw languishes badly behind other A-class shooters.

I also don't hear the gun clear kydex until it should already be driving out to the target: get a grip before your body begins to spin, and as soon as your hips are past the 180, lift the gun out.

Don't worry about shooting fast, like you do every other stage. To make B class just dryfire your draw and reload until both combined are shaving 1.5 seconds off that kind of run, and sit back and pick off some alphas. You literally cannot help but make B class if you can shoot straight and draw and reload quickly.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

One thing I noticed on the second video, after you loaded pistol, your finger went into the trigger area. I may not have seen that right, but if you are, stop doing that on LAMR. Gun goes bang and you are out of there. Be a trip to DQ land. Do not want to see that.

Mike

16 hours ago, Weeman said:

... I find the hardest thing for me is keeping a stage plan in my head longer than the memory of a goldfish (as evidenced by the DF video). I'm not too sure how to work on this in dry fire, as I don't really have the capacity to set up a stage and run through it myself.

Set up 3-6 targets.  Come up with an engagement order. Lets say you have 3 targets in a standard practice setup (7 yards with 1 yard between targets), make the decision to engage Left then Center then Right, reload, then Center then Right then Left, reload, then Center then Left then Right.

Basically all you are doing is shooting the targets in a different order with a task between the shooting. You can even have to shooting positions.  Take the example above and instead of reloading, move from A to B.  The move doesn't have to be far 3' is fine.

Edited by SCTaylor

22 hours ago, Weeman said:

I find the hardest thing for me is keeping a stage plan in my head longer than the memory of a goldfish (as evidenced by the DF video). I'm not too sure how to work on this in dry fire, as I don't really have the capacity to set up a stage and run through it myself.

In my experience, difficulty remember the sequence on a stage is a product of not spending enough time mentally running through the stage prior to shooting.  Once you identify the most efficient way to attack the stage, you should be constantly running through that sequence...as many times as you can walk it, and then as many times as you have time to do so, mentally, before getting up to the line.  If you get to the line and still don't have it down, run through it again in your head as part of your make ready process. 

My "memorization" includes not only knowing which positions I'm going to shoot which targets from, but also what my dot/sights will actually look like on the targets...what an effective sight picture will look like, etc.

Maybe others have a differing opinion, but I don't believe the memorization of a stage is something that is worth trying to figure a way to focus on in dry-fire practice.  Rather it's a mental sharpness type of training...and more than anything, a process that you have to work into your pre-stage routine.      

Edited by GorillaTactical

1 hour ago, mlm said:

One thing I noticed on the second video, after you loaded pistol, your finger went into the trigger area. I may not have seen that right, but if you are, stop doing that on LAMR. Gun goes bang and you are out of there. Be a trip to DQ land. Do not want to see that.

Mike

He is shooting production with a hammer fired gun. He has to drop the hammer on the gun before starting. You can see his left hand lowering the hammer when he pulls the trigger.

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

What were your hits/points like on both runs? Just giving us the % doesn't tell us much.

Good call. 

For Disaster Factor I had 3A 3B 6C with a time of 10.70. 42pts in total

Madness was a little better at 10A 4C with a time of 12.01. 62pts in total.

Match total over 6 classifiers was 48A 5B 24C 2D and 1 Mike on a black tux target. No no-shoots which was cool.

In your case, also being a Tanfo guy, do you do anything special in dry fire to simulate single action trigger work? I feel like practicing only with DA is kind of counter intuitive, but maybe it doesn't make as big of a difference as I think it does.

7 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

Set up 3-6 targets.  Come up with an engagement order. Lets say you have 3 targets in a standard practice setup (7 yards with 1 yard between targets), make the decision to engage Left then Center then Right, reload, then Center then Right then Left, reload, then Center then Left then Right.

Thanks for the idea. I'll definitely try that out asap. Not having the capacity to dry fire very much where I'm at kind of forces me to stick to basic stationary stuff, so most of my exposure to "dynamic" stuff you see at matches comes from, well.... matches. I find myself conducting a lot of trial and error on the fly. 

6 hours ago, GorillaTactical said:

My "memorization" includes not only knowing which positions I'm going to shoot which targets from, but also what my dot/sights will actually look like on the targets...what an effective sight picture will look like, etc.  

Reminds me of what I got taught back in the days I shot a lot of skeet, haha

I'll have to remind myself to do that again. 

Thanks for the input so far fellas. 

-Kenny

16 minutes ago, Weeman said:

Good call. 

For Disaster Factor I had 3A 3B 6C with a time of 10.70. 42pts in total

Madness was a little better at 10A 4C with a time of 12.01. 62pts in total.

Match total over 6 classifiers was 48A 5B 24C 2D and 1 Mike on a black tux target. No no-shoots which was cool.

Based on this data, I'd suggest that you need to def. be paying more attention to collecting your A hits.  60% Alphas shooting production is, in my opinion, waaaaaaaaaaaay too low.  Def. focus on collecting those A hits brotha.

If you want to shoot 60% of the points in Production on a Classifier you better be shooting fast as hell if you want a shot at even an A-class score. And you're... not.

Like I said: B is nothing more than a clean draw and reload that have been dryfire s to death and the patience to drill the A zones. Shave a second off your time by drawing and loading noticeably faster... then use that knowledge that you have this cushion to allow yourself to just shoot the sights when they're in the A. You'll be shocked you don't really slow down, but your hits are there.

On dryfire?

90% of your dryfire with a DA/SA gun should be done in single action, in my opinion. I work one shot from the holster for DA, and everything else I do is like this:

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If you want to shoot 60% of the points in Production on a Classifier you better be shooting fast as hell if you want a shot at even an A-class score. And you're... not.

Like I said: B is nothing more than a clean draw and reload that have been dryfire s to death and the patience to drill the A zones. Shave a second off your time by drawing and loading noticeably faster... then use that knowledge that you have this cushion to allow yourself to just shoot the sights when they're in the A. You'll be shocked you don't really slow down, but your hits are there.

Haha yeah, during stages I always mentally battle myself, saying to slow the f*ck down, then speeding up and throwing shots because I think I'm going too slow. All in time I suppose.

I've watched a bunch of youtube videos on making a draw more efficient and eliminating waste movement, etc. but do you have any personal stuff that you thought worked better than other techniques? I'll have to post some videos of my draw stroke and reloads up here when I get the chance. 

Thanks for the hammer taping idea too, that'll definitely help. 

Thanks again for the replies dudes.

-Kenny

34 minutes ago, Weeman said:

Haha yeah, during stages I always mentally battle myself, saying to slow the f*ck down, then speeding up and throwing shots because I think I'm going too slow. All in time I suppose.

I've watched a bunch of youtube videos on making a draw more efficient and eliminating waste movement, etc. but do you have any personal stuff that you thought worked better than other techniques? I'll have to post some videos of my draw stroke and reloads up here when I get the chance. 

Thanks for the hammer taping idea too, that'll definitely help. 

Thanks again for the replies dudes.

-Kenny

As Steve Anderson says on his podcast, consciously choosing to go fast or slow will always result in the wrong choice. You have to watch the sights and the gun, and shoot as fast as you can call good shots. Of course, it's easy to say that, but hard to do. I'm not there yet!

SHooting is entirely visual.

Seriously chew on this for a while: If you don't see the sights in the spot you want to hit, why are you pulling the trigger?

You'll either get scored a miss, or have to make it up, and both waste far more time than simply shooting whenever the sights tell you to in the first place.

Fast or slow is a stupid distraction you're getting suckered by. Just shoot your sights.*

* pot. kettle. (I also suck at this)

SHooting is entirely visual.

Seriously chew on this for a while: If you don't see the sights in the spot you want to hit, why are you pulling the trigger?

You'll either get scored a miss, or have to make it up, and both waste far more time than simply shooting whenever the sights tell you to in the first place.

Fast or slow is a stupid distraction you're getting suckered by. Just shoot your sights.*

* pot. kettle. (I also suck at this)

That's one thing Ive really been trying to work on. So far it's working when I go as fast as I can see, rather than as fast as I can pull the trigger. Last match, I shot as fast as I could see and I did quite well (26/74 overall, 3/6 division) and I was currently a D class shooter too. That match I had a 65.65% classifier too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk