Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New steel challenge gun build ideas

moparnut88

I'm looking for ideas on building a designated steel challenge open gun. I've already got a sti bald slide and a grip. I still need a barrel and frame. Looking for pictures of others guns. This gun will be minor pf only. Going for extremely light and fast pointing. And another question is how light is too light? Does anybody run lightweight frames? Thnks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: I would make it in 9mm for sure. I would also think about building it on a single stack frame with a short barrel. Use 9 or 10 round magazines.  I would use 95-115 grain bullets in the 140-155PF range. I would use a two sided C-More mount with a C-More slide ride with a large dot. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0996.JPG

Hello: I would make it in 9mm for sure. I would also think about building it on a single stack frame with a short barrel. Use 9 or 10 round magazines.  I would use 95-115 grain bullets in the 140-155PF range. I would use a two sided C-More mount with a C-More slide ride with a large dot. Thanks, Eric
IMG_0996.thumb.JPG.3e81f709946c0695e8e6a474efe6a815.JPG

Yes definately 9mm. I have thought about single stack but wondered if an sti running 140mm mags would be comparable in weight. We're also thinking running a shorty without a comp and only an island barrel with popple holes instead

hycomp.jpg.4cf081f740622cf0c8c4dcacc8d3db58.jpg

That is one thing I've been toying with doing in a 4.5" shorty build. Here are some ideas I like. I think with a ti comp and modern optic the first one would be a good build. Possibly a caspian lightweight frame.

a039b11fa5836cffe281f4d1ac6a7e78.jpg
0509af3a01ea40947445919372059b8e.jpg

hycomp.jpg.4cf081f740622cf0c8c4dcacc8d3db58.jpg

That is one thing I've been toying with doing in a 4.5" shorty build. Here are some ideas I like. I think with a ti comp and modern optic the first one would be a good build. Possibly a caspian lightweight frame.

a039b11fa5836cffe281f4d1ac6a7e78.jpg
0509af3a01ea40947445919372059b8e.jpg

Awesome! Those were found from the inter webs. I'd like to find some more info on the first gun in pic. I'm told it's from the 90's. and how light is too light? What loads r u running in urs?

Here is another thread that is asking about steel guns, in it I posted pics of my repurposed old open gun. 

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/226674-building-1911-9mm-for-pa-steel-on-a-budget/#comment-2526704

I also have a bedell shorty on an SVI frame that is set up for 9minor and it is a very good shooting gun and is great for steel challenge or action steel.  If you are at all interested in action steel use a double stack frame as it can do both well. 

Edited by Bamboo

Here is another thread that is asking about steel guns, in it I posted pics of my repurposed old open gun. 
http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/226674-building-1911-9mm-for-pa-steel-on-a-budget/#comment-2526704

I also have a bedell shorty on an SVI frame that is set up for 9minor and it is a very good shooting gun and is great for steel challenge or action steel.  If you are at all interested in action steel use a double stack frame as it can do both well. 

I already have an sti edge I use for limited minor and mainly pro am style shooting. And also have a caspian slide on an sti frame with a bedell comp and bull barrel as my primary uspsa open gun. That's why I'm kinda curious about using 126mm mags in an sti compared to using a single stack 9mm built gun.

Hello: Just add up the cost of 6 STI 126mm mags. Now do the same for 9mm 9 or10 round mags. I would use s steel frame. The Caspian Race Ready are nice or the Foster ones. A comp is going to work better than just a ported barrel. You can lighten a slide with holes and tri top it. Lots of options out there even a steel master may do what you want. Thanks, Eric

I guess my question on the 126 mags vs single stack mags is more has anyone compared shooting one in a single stack variation vs a 126mm mag sti based version as far as transition speed in relation to weight? Assuming one would underload the 126 mags. Thnks!

mo, in a little while I'll answer your question.  I'm Building a 1911 9mm compensated gun specifically for Steel Challenge, and I'm building a 9mm 2011 Open gun. In the mean time, I'm betting the 1911 will be quicker.  That is based on shooting a lot of outlaw steel with a 1911, a heavy 2011 Open gun with a bull barrel. a 'light' 2011 Open gun with a coned comp and standard barrel, and my CZ TS.

BTW, the 6 Brownell's 9mm 1911 mags cost me $120.  How much do you figure 6 126 mags would cost, even without feed lip tuning.

Edited by zzt

This is a gun I just finished building for Steel Challenge. Slide weights 9oz. Shoots great with 130pf ammo (5.5gn Autocomp with a 115 plated bullet). Weights about 40oz total. Balances well. Has a Trubor T1 barrel. I definitely would not shoot major with it as the slide would not last long with all the lightening cuts.

IMG_9657 small.jpeg

IMG_9664 small.jpg

This is a gun I just finished building for Steel Challenge. Slide weights 9oz. Shoots great with 130pf ammo (5.5gn Autocomp with a 115 plated bullet). Weights about 40oz total. Balances well. Has a Trubor T1 barrel. I definitely would not shoot major with it as the slide would not last long with all the lightening cuts.

5949d2ad2d28a_IMG_9657small.thumb.jpeg.9ba5207e7b37677113bd666df727daa0.jpeg
5949d2ae94ccb_IMG_9664small.thumb.jpg.5facf964fef48485bcf69e798b84fef8.jpg

That's a nice looking gun!! I worked a trade with a local friend for an old caspian rail gun that was never fully finished. It currently has a kart 40 barrel in it. Nice fit and finish. But not really steel challenge material. Conversation started out like hey do you know where any old 1911 frames might be and he said well I've got a caspian. Lol! But for the price I've got in it can't go wrong! Here she is. Needs to be bead blasted again and finished. This is what happens when a gun sits for 14yrs in the white. f5155874e1b4031a356d57c08dfc7d17.jpg

I would go double stack. I prefer the double stack mags and the grip. It also gives you the ability to late change grip options between plastic, aluminium, steel, titanium and grip shape, reduction, stipple, silicone carbide, build it up etc.

I would go with a 4.5inch gun. probably not a ported barrel but a comp (like aircooledracers for example).

Bull barrel

Heavily cut up slide

trip top, windows in the side

cut the crap out of the rear like the M2i gun pictured above. get the slide down around 8oz. I think you could get it even lighter. My SVI mid length major PF gun is 8.2oz and still has meat that could be removed in the rear.

One way to get it light is sleeve the barrel (or run one of the 'full profile' bull barrels that don't taper). to fit that you need to tunnel bore the slide out to 0.70 (or whatever the particular barrel diameter is) and that removes more weight. 

I'd probably even run an aluminium comp (or titanium) to keep it fast to point. 

all the usual tricks, profiled firing pin stop, beveled leading edge of the breach face etc etc to get it running nice and smoothly with low powered loads. 

I would go double stack. I prefer the double stack mags and the grip. It also gives you the ability to late change grip options between plastic, aluminium, steel, titanium and grip shape, reduction, stipple, silicone carbide, build it up etc.

I would go with a 4.5inch gun. probably not a ported barrel but a comp (like aircooledracers for example).

Bull barrel
Heavily cut up slide
trip top, windows in the side
cut the crap out of the rear like the M2i gun pictured above. get the slide down around 8oz. I think you could get it even lighter. My SVI mid length major PF gun is 8.2oz and still has meat that could be removed in the rear.

One way to get it light is sleeve the barrel (or run one of the 'full profile' bull barrels that don't taper). to fit that you need to tunnel bore the slide out to 0.70 (or whatever the particular barrel diameter is) and that removes more weight. 

I'd probably even run an aluminium comp (or titanium) to keep it fast to point. 

all the usual tricks, profiled firing pin stop, beveled leading edge of the breach face etc etc to get it running nice and smoothly with low powered loads. 

Excellent ideas! Keep em coming! Starting to get excited about this new build!