Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot not bright enough

Revofan

I set up a glock 17 mos with a vortex viper

great sight but on a sunny day tough to see the dot on white steel I have several other make dots I don't have an issue with brightness on those I've even put it side by side with rts2 and dpp and it's dimmer then those 

anyone else have this same issue ? 

Is it that there's an issue with my dot or is it just maxed out on brightness ?

Is that why everybody wants to sell their Burris dot? I was thinking about getting one I saw for a good price, but I am suspicious of them because so many people are reselling theirs

Here is my take.  The Burris FF3 is a superb sight.  Their warranty is unbelievable.  The batteries last seemingly forever.  The 3MOA dot is very bright.  The 8 MOA dot is slightly less so.  I have four of them and use some for Steel Challenge.  The only problem I ever have with a FF3 is when the sun is behind me.  It is not a dot brightness issue, it is an SR coating issue.  The glasss on an RTS2 is better AR coated and a lot more contrasty than the FF3 glass.

Here is how I would rank them for brightness, low to high.  Almost every one of the cheap under $40 knockoffs, FF3, Vortex Venom, RTS2, Deltapoint Pro 2.5.  Personally I like the bigger glass on the RTS2, but the DPP is brighter and has better ergonomics, plus the battery lasts way longer.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

Here is my take.  The Burris FF3 is a superb sight.  Their warranty is unbelievable.  The batteries last seemingly forever.  The 3MOA dot is very bright.  The 8 MOA dot is slightly less so.  I have four of them and use some for Steel Challenge.  The only problem I ever have with a FF3 is when the sun is behind me.  It is not a dot brightness issue, it is an SR coating issue.  The glasss on an RTS2 is better AR coated and a lot more contrasty than the FF3 glass.

Here is how I would rank them for brightness, low to high.  Almost every one of the cheap under $40 knockoffs, FF3, Vortex Venom, RTS2, Deltapoint Pro 2.5.  Personally I like the bigger glass on the RTS2, but the DPP is brighter and has better ergonomics, plus the battery lasts way longer.

Just to confirm, you're saying that the FF3 3moa is brighter than the 8moa?  For me the 3moa was too dim, but I really liked the dot otherwise.  I've actually been watching for a used 8moa on the assumption that it would appear slightly brighter.  No thanks if the opposite is true.  

Just to confirm, you're saying that the FF3 3moa is brighter than the 8moa?  For me the 3moa was too dim, but I really liked the dot otherwise.  I've actually been watching for a used 8moa on the assumption that it would appear slightly brighter.  No thanks if the opposite is true.  

It's probably the same LED focused on a larger/smaller area, so technically they are probably the same total brightness. Which would make the 3MOA more intense.

I got rid of my Burris FFIIIs in 3 and 8 minute and switched to the C-More Railway with a 12 minute dot.  Even in the bright sun here in Arizona I don't lose the dot.  I have one on my Revolver and one on my Mark IV, both on Allchin mounts.

1 hour ago, Revofan said:

Can anyone tell me about sts2 if you have one how do you like it any info I haven't had a chance to look threw one yet 

Given the price difference, there's no reason not to go with the RTS2 and its  larger window.  Just my opinion.  

Edited by jkrispies

• 1 month later...

I have a Burris FF2. My dad has the FF3.  The ff3 does not seem near as bright as my ff2.   I've had 2 of them and like was said above their warranty is the best.  My pistol got knocked off of the bench onto concrete and landed directly on the sight.  I took it off, and put the irons back on (1911) put the smashed sight in a drawer and forgot about it.  About 2 years later I stumbled across it and though I'd try calling and see what they said, I explained what happened (gun falling) the guy on the phone pretty much stopped me, said he's sorry that had happened and hoped the gun was ok .  Told me to send the optic back in and they'd make it right.. I thought that was kinda silly because it was zero fault of the optic and completely my fault.  Within a couple weeks, I had a brand new FF2 in the package with all the accessories... top notch