Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need equipment suggestions for AR15 class

wanttolearn

Hi, hoping to participate in AR15 classes. Not sure what supporting equipment i should get. Cost / value is of course a real consideration for me.

Any recommendations for equipment would sure be appreciated, particularly magazine dump pouch and mag pouches for 223/5.56.... chest rig?

thanks

You'll have to get ahold of the instructor to be sure if they don't provide a list.

Most want a cleaning kit and lube, tools for any optic mounts, handful of mags, ability to carry two or three on body, never seen a dump pouch required but it might be nice, spare batteries if your optic requires, eye and ear pro, notepad and pen/pencil, water/snacks/lunch, clothing as weather dictates, bag to carry it all.

Tactical classes will typically require a one or two point sling, two point is much nicer for almost everything.

i think the class is going to be more focused on fundamentals... so applicable later on for both competition like 3 gun or for tactical.

Honestly i think i'll only pursue local not very competitive competition...for us older folks, can't see running or jumping or climbing..... but i'd like to have the basics.

I tried with mags in my cargo pants and that just wasn't working out all that well. I saw a lot of others wearing chest rigs and dump pouches and it looked much more efficient/comfortable.

im willing to help more with your question, ill post in the morning and let you know. but in short our practical rifle is gearing towards having to wear a plate carrier, not necessarily plates but at least a carrier. i build my customers ultralights weighing in at 5 pounds, one thing i highly recommend is a red dot or holographic optic, we do not allow magnified in ours with a secondary sight or 45 degree irons.  mine i use gunner barrels and the rest is odin as i have found them to be one of the lightest and sturdiest foreends, basic upper and lower etc... if you can pin point more of what your asking ill help more 

LOL i got two threads mixed up, classes i teach require safety equiptment, glasses , ears, etc... gear 4 magazines, good ammo, no steel case or reloads, cleaning kit and misc spare parts are always handy. Bring a hat and sunscreen. and for your info maybe a camera to shoot your techniques. chest rig is nice to tactical belt with 3 pouches, dump pouch, etc... and always a first aid kit!! better safe than sorry