Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Ultralight Barrels

apetrulis01

Any JP barrel is great.  I understand getting the ultralight if you're building a rifle you will be carrying all day.  If you're building a gun for shooting sports like 3 gun, then lightweight build usually aren't the best choice.  Light guns just don't shoot as nice as a gun with a little more weight to it.  I built a lightweight AR for 3 gun and was disappointed by the amount of movement of the gun.  Now I really don't worry about the weight too much, when I do I would rather rob the weight from the hanguard vs barrel.  

3 hours ago, CharlieD said:

Any JP barrel is great.  I understand getting the ultralight if you're building a rifle you will be carrying all day.  If you're building a gun for shooting sports like 3 gun, then lightweight build usually aren't the best choice.  Light guns just don't shoot as nice as a gun with a little more weight to it.  I built a lightweight AR for 3 gun and was disappointed by the amount of movement of the gun.  Now I really don't worry about the weight too much, when I do I would rather rob the weight from the hanguard vs barrel.  

The Light weight contour JP uses is actually ideal for three gun and its what is most commonly used by 3 gunners in their builds.  You can have a gun too light but too heavy is bad as well. Especially since most of your shots will be inside 100 yards. 

Edited by Alaskapopo

16 hours ago, Alaskapopo said:

The Light weight contour JP uses is actually ideal for three gun and its what is most commonly used by 3 gunners in their builds.  You can have a gun too light but too heavy is bad as well. Especially since most of your shots will be inside 100 yards. 

OP asked about the ultralight contour.  I would choose the light contour over the ultralight for 3 gun all day long.  I would only choose ultralight if I had to carry the rifle ie. duty use.

5 hours ago, CharlieD said:

OP asked about the ultralight contour.  I would choose the light contour over the ultralight for 3 gun all day long.  I would only choose ultralight if I had to carry the rifle ie. duty use.

My mistake did not realize they had a ultra light contour.