Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay WTH is this now?

Lifeislarge

Accurailed guns are super awesome. It moves the wear point from the slide to the rails, so then if your gun starts to get a little loose you can just pop in new ones and bam there you go, fixed. Instantly bank vault tight again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's not cheap

they are much more common on open guns where slide to frame fit is more critical due to the frame mounted optic, where you aim with the frame instead of the sights on top of the slide

and no they're not welded, the frame and slide are machined to accept the rails, and the rail are bent and fit in a hole in the frame

btw, those rails are hard, and if you bend them they will break

On 6/17/2017 at 10:25 PM, Lifeislarge said:

So why doesn't everyone have them?  The slide to frame fit is amazing. Zero play  and buttery smooth. 

Not sure that they would work well or be needed with guns that have longer slide to frame contact area??

They do serve their purpose very well.  It does however limit your options should you crack a slide.  Once your frame is machined for rails, there are only a couple of guys that can machine a replacement slide and it drives additional cost.

So I broke my rails this past weekend (actually I broke one, and replaced it, then went shooting another day and busted the opposite side and replaced it too!), so now I am out of spares and need to replenish my stock. I searched Doug Jones, Accurail, Accu Rail, and a couple other things but can't find a phone number or website for him anymore. Does anyone know how to get ahold of him to order a couple fresh sets of rails?

3 hours ago, DagoRed said:

Is this normally done only once a gun is already loose or is it sometimes from the get go? Also, do the hard rails cause the slide to wear faster? 

Red

Either way, most probably after the gun tried.  In my experience it didn't seem to wear the slide any worse than it would normally.

From my research there was a bunch of guys doing it in the mid to late 90's but that doesn't mean there's anyone left other than Doug.  I'm going to try and contact him myself to see about what it would take to get a set of replacement rails if possible.  

Bob krieger did mine in the 90's, I believe he patented it and licensed it to 3 other gunsmiths, of which only Doug Jones is left

when I broke a rail,  he wanted the gun back so he could fit the rails

Doug jones did my last one, and I can't recommend him highly enough, quick service, fantastic work, real old school gunsmith