Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PSA Barrel

Had this happen today.  Seems like it would've had to have been an out of battery issue to create that banana peeling?  After getting the stuck round out with a rod, nothing will chamber.  It appears the rifling is an insert into the barrel and it's failed by moving a bit. Whether the failure is from the event or whether failure caused the event, I cannot say.  Given the banana peeling I am leading toward the latter/

See attached pictures.

It wasn't a double charge (Dillon 650).  3.0 grains of Titegroup with a SNS 147.  I've shot thousands of this load (roughly 3K).  It's about 1050fps out of the barrel.  Never seen any signs of over pressure, but I'm not beyond doing something dumb.

Regardless, my eyes and digits are intact, but my barrel is not.  

Im definitely sending this back to PSA, but seems like the time to pull a trigger on new barrel. 

0 (1).jpg

0.jpg

Glad to hear you are OK

Top pic is wild, just seeing that and not hearing any back story it almost looks like another case in that chamber like you had a case head separation. Might want to double check.

Keep us informed on what they say

Edited by NOMADSS

Are you 100% sure that's not the forward half of a case stuck in the chamber?  Even from the pic, that's what it appears to be.  Seems like the round before was stepped brass and split, then the next round went off out of battery.

4 minutes ago, mahamoti said:

Are you 100% sure that's not the forward half of a case stuck in the chamber?  Even from the pic, that's what it appears to be.  Seems like the round before was stepped brass and split, then the next round went off out of battery.

I agree 100% what it looks like. I'm stumped though.  I can't feel any lip in the barrel that would be a case.  A light from the muzzle end shows smooth rifling all the way down. 

It was just sooo flush with the chamber.  I was going a bit batty as there was nothing to grab on with. I spent a good deal of time. Finally used a dental tool and just gouged in hard and it fell out. 

What a day I've had with this thing.  There was a projectile lodged in the barrel after the incident.  I used an oak dowel.  It got stuck and broke off.  Finally got it everything out with an aluminum squib rod coming from the breech end.  And then this.  Still have no clue wtf exactly went wrong, but happy I'm all in one piece.

0 (2).jpg

Stepped brass is what went wrong.

2017-06-12.jpg

Ammoload and FM headstamps, and I believe one more I can't recall at the moment, use stepped brass.  Those go right in the trash when I'm sorting.

The round before your OOB, you had one of these cases split.  The front half of the case didn't allow the next round to go into battery.  Somehow you managed to set off that next round, which was OOB.

That picture above was out of my PCC.  A friend was using his purchased reman ammo.  Luckily, that round didn't get touched off, or I would have had *exactly* the same result you did.

Glad you got it sorted out.  I'd closely examine your bolt and upper receiver for bulging.

Edited by mahamoti
21 minutes ago, mahamoti said:

Stepped brass is what went wrong.

2017-06-12.jpg

Ammoload and FM headstamps, and I believe one more I can't recall at the moment, use stepped brass.  Those go right in the trash when I'm sorting.

The round before your OOB, you had one of these cases split.  The front half of the case didn't allow the next round to go into battery.  Somehow you managed to set off that next round, which was OOB.

That picture above was out of my PCC.  A friend was using his purchased reman ammo.  Luckily, that round didn't get touched off, or I would have had *exactly* the same result you did.

Noted!

Bolt looks good.  Extracts fine, firing pin intact and functional.  Receiver has a small nick at the ejection port.  Couldn't even say if it was from this or just battle scars.

Match bound tomorrow.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I knew that's what I was looking at.  Been down that road before.  Hope all works now for you

Yep, anyone that uses reloads in a 9mm PCC has experienced it at least once or will likely experience it at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: It can also happen when you load too long for the throat of the barrel. Pushes the bullet back and the pressure goes up. I have also seen factory ammo with not enough crimp getting the bullet pushed back as it chambers. You will hear bang,bang, bang, Louder Bang. We have a couple of guys here shooting indoors and you can really hear it then. Throw the stepped brass away if you are shooting it in a PCC or open pistol. Thanks, Eric

Any secrets to how you folks check for stepped brass? I've seen it, but haven't paid it much attention.  

If it looks like this inside don't use it:

e5b651d0f54672418559eb31053dfab7.jpg

This one has a cannelure around the middle at that area, and that's were it separated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, bwframe said:

Any secrets to how you folks check for stepped brass? I've seen it, but haven't paid it much attention.  

Check headstamps.  Ammoload, FM, IMT stamps are all stepped.  I pull those out in the process of weeding out military crimped primer brass, and other oddball cases I don't want to run through my press.

I stand, and have a light attached to the case feed support... I glance at the cases as they enter the shell holder from the case feeder, but occasionally catch a missed piece of stepped brass when I check for powder before setting a bullet...

18 minutes ago, Les Snyder said:

I stand, and have a light attached to the case feed support... I glance at the cases as they enter the shell holder from the case feeder, but occasionally catch a missed piece of stepped brass when I check for powder before setting a bullet...

This is more along the line of what I'm looking for. I already do quite a bit of preliminary "swimming" through the cleaned brass to separate out any .38 Super or odd .380 that might have snuck into the mix. Hopefully, this overall look for oddities can turn up the stepped brass also.

If I can avoid having to strain/magnify a look at every case head, it would be a massive time saver for my middle aged eyes.  

Edited by bwframe