Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long should a fibre optic rod last?

Oldminger

13 hours ago, teros135 said:

You can lose a FO rod in 3000 rounds of vigorous firing for a variety of reasons.  Put another one on and keep on shooting

Yep. I carried pre cut pieces, lighter, clippers, glue etc in my tool kit when I shot Production.

DAVE Dawson mentioned that cleaners / solvents have a dramatic negative effect on the rods.......and I believe him..I replace as neeed....or after I hit the shooting port with my front sight....lol..

On 6/17/2017 at 5:36 AM, 3gunDQ said:

Yeah, bullshit dude. I have a SV sight tracker and some 4.5 titegroup loads I have will melt the SV fiber.... you are shooting too slow old timer. 

"sight tracker"

Not an insignificant detail when you are talking about heat transfer. 

I have never broken one. The only time I replace them is when they get too dirty or dull to be effective.

I use TG for my 9mm loads (STI Trojan) and CFE Pistol for my 40 cal loads (STI Edge).

Edited by davidb72

I'm careful about solvents and cleaners near or around the FO so I don't think it's an issue in my case. 

I just installed a new FO and used the super glue trick. Shot a comp this weekend and it's still there and will put another 350 + through next weekends big comp so that will be over 500 rounds so will report back after that.