Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long should a fibre optic rod last?

Oldminger

Boys, I seem to be going through rather a lot of fibre optic rods. How long should I expect one to last? I'm using a Dawson front sight on my 9mm Trojan shooting minor and I'm installing them as per Dave's video. I seem to break a rod every 500 rounds, surly this can't be right?

Edited by Oldminger

I have never broken one.  you sure they are breaking and not just slipping through because of a small bell?  that seems weird to have them break that quick.  Also what brand of rod are you using.  Maybe that could have some bearing on it if you are using cheap rod.  

My experience with fiber has been much different. I have them on several guns that have seen several thousand rounds each. No breakage for normal usage. I broke one once, but it was me being clumsy during a cleaning session. I'm not sure if hotter powders would make the fiber too brittle and subject to breakage. I've heard stories about Titegroup melting sights, but I've no personal experience with it. I've only used N320 for pistol. It will be interesting to hear what the others have to say.

27 minutes ago, armydad said:

My experience with fiber has been much different. I have them on several guns that have seen several thousand rounds each. No breakage for normal usage. I broke one once, but it was me being clumsy during a cleaning session. I'm not sure if hotter powders would make the fiber too brittle and subject to breakage. I've heard stories about Titegroup melting sights, but I've no personal experience with it. I've only used N320 for pistol. It will be interesting to hear what the others have to say.

No, it's only a story.  40k+ rounds on Titegroup (9mm, 40 S&W), never a problem, good fiber life.  They do break occasionally due to handling and abrasion, and so I replace them once a year as a matter of course.

500 rounds is about right if you are shooting Titegroup.  I also have a Dawson FO front sight on my TS, and I use their fiber optic material.  After thousands of rounds using the Red FO, I decided to try green.  I had to cut the red rod out.  The same green piece has been in there for the last two years.  The only care I give it is to occasionally wipe the soot off it.  I use Alliant e3 powder.  It doesn't melt FO.

Never broken one. Ran a lot of TG, used to be all I used. Changed my first after 5000 rnds or so, didn't realize how dim it'd gotten, scratches, filth, solvent take a toll. Have had to re melt an end after several hundred rounds due to slippage from a poor intial fit.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I shoot TG too.  Don't think thats it.  Could you be roasting the bulb and it gets brittle?  When you say they are breaking are you finding them broken still in the gun or do they completely fall out?

TG was very hard on my FO rods when they seemed to last forever with 320. It really burned hot and seemed to make the rod brittle.

BUT, best way to keep them from breaking is to put a small drop of super glue under the middle of the rod to cut down on vibration. That was SOP for me to keep them from breaking.

When I was buying pre cut rod from th sight makers it died pretty rapidly.  Buying by the yard the fat stuff almost never dies. The skinny stuff is pretty durable.

Pre cut was lasting about 2-3k or less no matter the gun, but with Dawson front sights. 

My m&p, fatter rod, replaced it about every 8000-10000 rounds and was shooting titegroup. It wouldn't break but would get enough soot embedded in it to get dim. 1911 in .45 with thin rod would break rods every 3k or so, but the sight was fit wrong. It broke too after a while. Fit one right and the fiber lasted much longer. My custom 2011 is only on its second rod at about 40k rounds. It used the bulk rod from day one.

Also break free spray is rough on fibers. Some of the longevity is due to having moved to guns with lots of polymer and away from using the spray.

2 hours ago, Edge40 said:

I shoot TG too.  Don't think thats it.  Could you be roasting the bulb and it gets brittle?  When you say they are breaking are you finding them broken still in the gun or do they completely fall out?

I can see when they break when I'm shooting. They stay within the blade of the sight then another course of fire usually sends then flying.

I'm using 1mm rod that I bought a 6" length from an STI distributor, it seems to be genuine FO and not the cheap plastic rod but I can't be sure.

Titegroup doesn't seem hurt my fiber rod on a Shadow. I buy the sections from Shooters Connection. I have noticed that if you try to use scissors or a wire cutter you can damage the rod. Also if you have a holster that allows the muzzle to extend out the bottom, you can ding the rod on the holster when drawing.

Use a razor blade to cut it. Use a full length holster and do not get a scratch/ding on the rod. Should not be a problem.  

11 hours ago, teros135 said:

No, it's only a story.  40k+ rounds on Titegroup (9mm, 40 S&W), never a problem, good fiber life.  They do break occasionally due to handling and abrasion, and so I replace them once a year as a matter of course.

Yeah, bullshit dude. I have a SV sight tracker and some 4.5 titegroup loads I have will melt the SV fiber.... you are shooting too slow old timer. 

8 hours ago, raz-0 said:

When I was buying pre cut rod from th sight makers it died pretty rapidly.  Buying by the yard the fat stuff almost never dies. The skinny stuff is pretty durable.

Pre cut was lasting about 2-3k or less no matter the gun, but with Dawson front sights. 

My m&p, fatter rod, replaced it about every 8000-10000 rounds and was shooting titegroup. It wouldn't break but would get enough soot embedded in it to get dim. 1911 in .45 with thin rod would break rods every 3k or so, but the sight was fit wrong. It broke too after a while. Fit one right and the fiber lasted much longer. My custom 2011 is only on its second rod at about 40k rounds. It used the bulk rod from day one.

Also break free spray is rough on fibers. Some of the longevity is due to having moved to guns with lots of polymer and away from using the spray.

Where are you buying it by the yard?

I shoot my 2011 a ton here in the desert sw in 100+ degree temps, sometimes up to a thousand rounds a week.  Loading 40 major with tite group.  There are times when the gun gets so hot I can't pull the slide back.  I have NEVER melted a fiber optic rod.

7 hours ago, Brooke said:

Titegroup doesn't seem hurt my fiber rod on a Shadow. I buy the sections from Shooters Connection. I have noticed that if you try to use scissors or a wire cutter you can damage the rod. Also if you have a holster that allows the muzzle to extend out the bottom, you can ding the rod on the holster when drawing.

Use a razor blade to cut it. Use a full length holster and do not get a scratch/ding on the rod. Should not be a problem.  

I must agree I don't think TG is to blame it's just a coincidence. I think Brooke may have hit upon something, I use wire cutters to trim the FO before I bulb it with heat. Maybe I'm damaging the FO when I cut it. 

19 hours ago, Sarge said:

TG was very hard on my FO rods when they seemed to last forever with 320. It really burned hot and seemed to make the rod brittle.

BUT, best way to keep them from breaking is to put a small drop of super glue under the middle of the rod to cut down on vibration. That was SOP for me to keep them from breaking.

I agree. Super glue is the ticket to long life. Cleaners, d-greasers, and oil will deteriorate brightness over time. I will usually change one for that reason long before breaking one.