Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The things I don't understand

Forensics Doc

The older I get the more I realize I don't understand a lot of stuff, much of which I simply accept and go on.  I don't understand how a particle as infinitesimally small as an atom can be split to cause an explosion that will level entire cities, but I know it's true.  I can't begin to grasp the complexities of putting a man on the moon, not once but several times, and returning them safely to Earth, but I watched it happen.  More recently, in 2004 the Rosetta spacecraft was launched and and ten years later, after having traveled something over four billion miles, landed on comet 67P, which was traveling through space at a velocity of 84,000 mph.  After doing so, it sent back astoundingly clear photos of the comet's surface.

As amazing as all that is, here's what I find even more amazing: That with all the incredible technology we have, we seem unable to prevent our email from being hacked, unable to prevent viruses and worms from infecting our computers, and seem unable to prevent credit card fraud from occurring when buying stuff over the internet.  Yes, I know, much, perhaps most, of this results from use of passwords such as "password" or "12345678", using the same password for multiple accounts, and not recognizing phishing when it occurs, but surely if we can hit a comet 317 million miles away after traveling for ten years, we should be able to keep some Romanian hacker with a home computer from being able to access our information.  Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Forensics Doc said:

Am I missing something?

Everything you discuss is all about technology.. except hacking.  Hackers don't hack technology nearly as much as they hack the humans using it.  Whether it's directly through social engineering or indirectly by guessing passwords, activities, etc., very little hacking is actually about compromising technology for the sake of technology and even those things that are compromised are still usually mis-configured (often on purpose to be "easier) by humans who prioritize ease of use over security.

Humans are very, very, very hackable.

One of the reasons that email is such an easy avenue is because email servers aren't required to maintain a chain of custody that verifies that the posting address and sender info isn't spoofed during the hand-off from server to server.  They accept garbage and hand garbage to the next server in line with no repercussion.

They prefer it that way because as it stands - they can't be held accountable.

Same with getting spoofed caller I.D. info.

I hate that nobody is making them responsible for passing on damaging bytes.

It's just like letting someone dig holes in a public road.

Edited by crasher

14 hours ago, Forensics Doc said:

if we can hit a comet 317 million miles away, we should be able to keep some Romanian hacker from being able to access our information. 

Those damn Romanians are a Very Smart bunch of guys, with nothing better to do.

Have you ever heard of any way of having FUN in Romania?    :P

"Bolsheviks"  haven't seen that word used in a long time.

For the less advanced in years among us:

Bolshevik, ( Russian: “One of the Majority”) , plural Bolsheviks, or Bolsheviki, member of a wing of the Russian Social-Democratic Workers' Party, which, led by Lenin, seized control of the government in Russia (October 1917) and became the dominant political power.

This Hate rant has turned into a discussion, which is beyond the bounds of the rules for the Hate Forum. Thus, it must be closed.Please review the Hate Forum Rules:http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8097[note: this is a generic response]