Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF100 Problems - WSR Primers Spin At the Feed Adaptor

I'm using a Dillon RF100 to load Winchester Small Rifle primers...  My RF100 has a difficult time transitioning the primers from the round rail to the vertical loading tube...  Sometimes the primers just spin at the mouth of the feed adaptor...  Sometimes they turn sideways and block all the other primers from dropping into the loading tube...  It ends up taking a long time to get all the primers down the tube...  Plus...  More are flipped than ever before.

I've loaded over 40,000 Federal Small Pistol Primers with this RF100...  I've had a few primers flip upside down, but not nearly as many as I have had since switching to the Winchester Small Rifle primers for my new Open gun...  I like the WSR primers and want to keep using them.

I called Dillon and they sent me a new Feed Adapter and Stabilizer Plate...  Added them and they don't seem to make any difference...

I've filed out (opened up)  the inside of the Feed Adapter to try and get the primers to stop spinning and drop into the tube easier...  That doesn't seem to help, either...

I've tried adjusting the speed of the primers several ways...  Turning up the rheostat makes them move faster - depending on the gap in the Feed Adapter...  Also...  The tightness of the four plastic cover bolts greatly affects the speed of primers as they go around the bowl...

Is there a trick to getting a Dillon RF100 to work with Winchester Small Rifle Primers?

I'll be following this thread.  ;-)

I found that my RF100 works MUCH better with Winchester small rifle/pistol primers than it does with CCI.  I've never tried Federal.  I'll be buying Winchester going forward though.  

With Winchester mine is reasonably fast and 100%.

With CCI mine is literally only about 1/2 to 3/4 as fast as the Winchester and about 99.7 or 99.8%.  Seems like I get 2 or 3 flipped CCIs per box of 1000.

The RF100 is a love/hate device...  Some people seem to plug them in and have them work forever...  Mine worked for quite a while, but developed problems when I changed from Federal SPP to Winchester WSR primers...

Tried leveling it...  Tilting it forward...  Adjusting the Feed Adapter screw...  Putting the RF100 on top of a mouse pad - or not...

It still jams with the WSR primers...  It's bad enough when it flips a few primers upside down, but when you want to load a new tube of primers and find out that the RF100 jammed and stopped the primers from loading, that really sucks...  You end up banging on the side...  sometimes that clears the jam...  and if not, take the cover and stabilizer plate off to correct the sideways primer...

The platform that the primers walk around on needs to be cleaned quite often. I use simple green.

I've even heard of one that saw constant use getting sandblasted to resurface the platform...

jj