Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your favorite 9mm bullet for XDM?

TitoR

I have a brand new Dillon XL650 ready to go, but I'm a newbie, so need guidance on components.

Powder and primers are set due to availability to TiteGroup and Fiocchi spp.

Brass is coming from local ranges, to be wet tumbled, inspected, etc.

So only choice is bullet selection.

So, what bullet shoots best from an XDM 4.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am new to reloading, but prior to buying the Dillon I've been reading this forum and several reloading books, so I know the basics.
Why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The best bullets IMHO come from Montana Gold. I prefer the 124 grain, but use 147's for spinner targets. But, they are not cheap, so my go to for steel matches, practice, or high volume shooting, Blue Bullets are great. The 130 grain works very good in both my 4.5. I have used 147's from Blue also with good results.

On June 18, 2017 at 7:39 AM, TitoR said:

I am new to reloading, but prior to buying the Dillon I've been reading this forum and several reloading books, so I know the basics.
Why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some bullets are not listed in published data. In that case you are left to follow internet recipes. That is probably ok if you know the basics. I have an accurate 147gr load I will post when I get back home.

On 6/19/2017 at 6:48 PM, lgh said:

Some bullets are not listed in published data. In that case you are left to follow internet recipes. That is probably ok if you know the basics. I have an accurate 147gr load I will post when I get back home.

147 gr Laser Cast with Power Pistol.

Don't have a TG load that I've run in my 5" XD but I will check out 147gr Bayou over TG next week.  

Thanks for all the replies, after loading multiple bullets with multiple charges, I've settled on two options:  RMR 147 RN @ 1.140" loaded with 3.15gr of TG PF ~ 128 OR Bayou/BBI 135 RN @ 1.135" loaded with 3.25gr of TG PF ~128.

I'm waiting for Blue Bullets in 147, 135 and 125 to do some additional testing.

• 2 weeks later...

You're me, four years ago...

Find something accurate through your gun that shoots kinda sorta soft or whatever and just shoot 10,000 of them.

No one every really listens to this and they keep tinkering and changing and testing. I did. I have a dozen varieties of powder and nearly-empty cases of bullets to prove it. But four years from now, you'll find this post again and realized you should have listened.

There's no competitive advantage between different 124/135/147 loads with 128-135pf velocities. Pick one that's accurate and reliable and go practice with it until you're good.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 6/22/2017 at 10:59 AM, lgh said:

Don't have a TG load that I've run in my 5" XD but I will check out 147gr Bayou over TG next week.  

147gr Bayou over 3.1 TG gave groups over 3 inches at 25 yds. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 0:48 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

You're me, four years ago...

Find something accurate through your gun that shoots kinda sorta soft or whatever and just shoot 10,000 of them.

No one every really listens to this and they keep tinkering and changing and testing. I did. I have a dozen varieties of powder and nearly-empty cases of bullets to prove it. But four years from now, you'll find this post again and realized you should have listened.

There's no competitive advantage between different 124/135/147 loads with 128-135pf velocities. Pick one that's accurate and reliable and go practice with it until you're good.

I very much liked what MemphisMechanic said.  I understand and appreciate what was said.  I just helped a new re-loader student after he chose a powder by himself that surprised me but he was backwards confused about burn rate for 9mm and .45 ACP.  I like to test (contrast/compare) powder brands but I can make a decision for "game time" (for pistol, rifle and shotgun loads).  

• 1 month later...

"Fav 9mm for XDM...?   Well, my XDM competition  (5.25") is a .45 ACP and it will eat anything (and it follows me home).  It must like me but so does a CZ P-09. I enjoyed unloading brass cases so that I can load some more.  I appreciate the 9mm posted comments--very good comments.   I will try some Bullet Bullet samples in the CZ 9mm.    

The single most accurate round through my XDM 5.25 was a 124gr Precision Delta JHP over Accurate #2 powder, about 1.5" from a rest at 25 yds. Much like mentioned above I went through countless types of powder and projectiles searching for nirvana when I should have spent my time practicing. It was fun and entertaining along the way and I did learn much about different powders and projectiles so I guess it wasn't totally wasted time, but realistically at my experience level I should have been practicing with something, anything that worked well in the gun. Once the buzzer goes off you won't be able to tell any real difference in a minor load through a production gun anyway. 

• 1 month later...