Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

starting out with a 1911

looking to get started with USPSA using a 1911 full size.  i don't yet understand how the divisions work with this sport yet.  anything I should be aware of while competing with this gun, and would you say it puts me at a disadvantage compared to other higher capacity doublestack 9mm pistols?  just working with what i've got to start out before I rush out and buy a dedicated race gun

I'm shooting Single Stack, which one of the 2 classes you can start off in with a 1911. You can run 8-rounds magazines in Single Stack. Or you can use the same gun and use 10-round mags and shoot Limited-10.

I'm shooting a Springfield Armory Loaded Target (mine's stainless steel). I added a Dawson fiber-optic front sight, Wilson Combat mainspring housing and integrated magwell, and Wilson Combat 47D and Chip McCormick 8-round magazines. You don't need to use 8 round mags, but it helps. The stock 7-round are fine.

COncetrate on being safe first, safe second, safe third, then accurate and eventually fast. Go have fun!!

Assuming you are shooting a 45. Some 8 round mags and your ready to rock and roll. 

In Single Stack, you only compete directly against other Single stack (1911) style guns. 

Be Safe and Have fun are the two biggest rules. In that order

You can shoot Single Stack or Limited-10. Single Stack is all 1911s. Limited-10 only works for you due to the 10 round magazine restriction not putting you at a disadvantage, but you will compete against everything ranging from a Glock to a 2011. Limited-10 does allow race holsters though. In Single Stack, if your gun is 9mm you can start with 10 rounds in the magazine, but if you shoot .40 or .45 you can start with 8 rounds in the magazine. With a 9mm your will score minor while with a .40 and a .45 you will score major, which isn't something you should worry about unless you plan on being really competitive. The major and minor power factor applies to both divisions. I have yet to see a match require more than 32 rounds per stage so have enough magazines to cover that at least. I don't shoot single stack, but the guy in my group that does shoot single stack carries 5 to 6 magazines on his belt.

I shoot a .45. I also shoot at a club that likes high shot count stages, with plate racks, Texas Stars, etc. typically 6 to 7 with 200 to 275 shots total. I carry 5 magazines on my belt and load an extra at the start. I'm a high D shooter and have yet to go dry. Came close once with a half covered Texas Star!!

One of the joys in USPSA is you are only competing with others in your Division. So if you run your 1911 you will shoot with other types of guns, but not competing against them. If you are running a 1911 the I would stay in single stack for now. As most of the people on here will tell you, "Shoot what you have and be safe". This is going to be the best advice you can get. 

Definitely shoot the 1911 with whatever you have in Single Stack. Read up on the  Rules. Single stack has a pretty specific belt setup but it is easy to understand once you read it. 8 round mags are better but you can get by with 7 when starting to learn the rules and what you want to do. Good luck and enjoy it!

Grab your .45 (or .40, or 9mm) 1911.

Straight drop belt holster.

Two layer competition belt (I use a cheap $40 from Shooters Connection which is actually very similar to the quality of my DAA and CR Speed's)

Six mag pouches, and 7 high quality mags.

... and go to the next match and tell whomever looks to be in charge that you're brand new and looking for advice. They'll steer you straight from there.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

33 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Grab your .45 (or .40, or 9mm) 1911.

Straight drop belt holster.

Two layer competition belt (I use a cheap $40 from Shooters Connection which is actually very similar to the quality of my DAA and CR Speed's)

Six mag pouches, and 7 high quality mags.

... and go to the next match and tell whomever looks to be in charge that you're brand new and looking for advice. They'll steer you straight from there.

Literally the best advice ever. get the gear. Show up. and everything will fall into place.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:47 PM, jwestonmoss said:

Does it put me at a disadvantage ?  

No disadvantage, at all.    :)

You are not going to win your first three matches ....    :rolleyes:

Go shoot the match and only Two (2) things matter:

1.   SAFETY

2.   FUN

After your first five matches, you'll know where you want to go - so

enjoy the next five matches    :) 

You don't mention if your shooting 9mm,38,40 or 45.

I'll assume 45 and two of your mags that came with the gun are 7 rounders. That's fine, use those until you can replace them with 8 rounders. I still us one to load the gun (8 plus 1).

Rules state that if you are using 7 round mags, even one you must "download" all mags to 7 rounds. Shoot the 8 rounders anyway, you have to get used to the mag changes. The when and where of planning out a stage. That's the hardest thing to do.

Practice reloads at home.................a lot. That's where the time is.

Welcome to the club.

13 minutes ago, jwestonmoss said:

Thanks for all the responses.  It looks like I need to get a belt and enough pouches for 6 mags.  Do you suggest double mag pouches?  Are the pouches themselves pretty universal?

The pouches are pretty standard. they either Single or Double stack. Lots of options on the website below that you can see all the different styles and brands. 

I use these for my SS Rig. Really like them
Pouches

Belt