Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello from Southern Ohio

jwestonmoss

I'm brand new to any form of competitive shooting, up til now I've just been a plinker and occasional target shooter.  Struggling to find local clubs that 1) have the matches and 2) have the matches at a time I can make it!  The USPSA site has clubs listed but a bunch of the websites no longer exist, etc

I'm not sure what events I want to get into right off the bat.  I have a 1911 and an AR-15, plus some 22 rifles and pistols.  A semi-auto shotgun.  What are my options in terms of events to get into?

Welcome to the forums! Tell us your city/area or residence and someone here will likely know of a club nearby. You've got the basic hardware to get started. Once you find a club and attend a match. Once you get a little experience, it should fall into place for you. Best of luck!

thanks.  i live in the 45162 area code which is in between cincinnati and dayton.  are clubs generally open to "the public" when they have these sorts of events or do you need to be a member of the club?  a lot of the clubs around here are saying they only admit new people once a year, and the closest club to me has a 4-year wait list.  seriously

1 hour ago, jwestonmoss said:

thanks.  i live in the 45162 area code which is in between cincinnati and dayton.  are clubs generally open to "the public" when they have these sorts of events or do you need to be a member of the club?  a lot of the clubs around here are saying they only admit new people once a year, and the closest club to me has a 4-year wait list.  seriously

Welcome

Club matches are open to the public, once you get into major matches above that, you would be required to have a USPSA membership (which is worthwhile for a ton of reasons including tracking your progress, and its cheap to boot.)

If you have a 1911, holster, mag carrier and at least 4 mags, give single stack a try as youre already set up for it.  I had been using my carry gun (1911 commander) and leather for a few months before I realized I was having alot of fun and started picking up gear. I'm new myself. You will find a bunch of very talented, really helpful folks in SW Ohio.

Miamisburg sportsmans Club has a match this sunday, Oxford IWLA has one the first sunday of the month, both of which should be reasonably close to you. If you're hesitant, stop in and check one out although I'd say bring your gear and give it a try :)  You can shoot a club match at least every weekend within an hour of your location

18 hours ago, jwestonmoss said:

Sounds like you are close to MRPC! lol I'm a member there as well as a past USPSA match Director and board member. The club has changed a lot and there are probably better options for you. Clinton county farmers club is near Wilmington and is a great club. They shoot 3gun, IDPA, USPSA(pending), shotgun games, etc.

It sounds like you are not set on a particular game? We are mostly USPSA Oriented on this forum and SW Ohio shoots more USPSA than anything. I am also the USPSA Section Coordinator for Southern Ohio and will be more than happy to get you any info you may want on the sport. You can go to uspsa.org and use the club finding feature to find info on all local clubs.

Generally you will find you can shoot a USPSA match every weekend somewhere in the area.

Welcome from Kentucky!  As you can see, you already have a bunch of people here that are willing to help and have info on USPSA matches and clubs around you.  As far as I'm aware (at least in Kentucky), the matches are open to the public (you do not have to be a club member), but they prefer you to be a USPSA member, but it is pretty darn cheap.  I think it is only like $30 a year.  That is nothing.  Less than a box of ammo depending on what you shoot.  Most of the times if you are a club member, you will possibly get a discount on the price of the match, but that depends on the club/location/etc.  That's what happens here around Lexington, KY anyway.  So, that is a benefit, but you don't have to be a member of the club to shoot the match at that club.

As most have said, grab your gear, go out early (especially if you are a first time shooter at that club/match as they usually have a "new shooters" meeting early before the match) and see what it is all about.  Most people "run what they brung" and see what goes.  Most times you have so much fun and see what it is all about and build your stuff up from there.  Apparently Sarge can point you in the proper direction of match locations, so you should be good to go. :) 

Most of all, be safe, follow the rules and have fun.  Then come back here and brag about the fun you had and read up on all the awesome info that others have posted about here and learn a ton.  That's what I have done thus far and everyone here has been awesome at giving info and not being trolls about it.  This has been one of, if not THE best, forum I have ever seen about competition firearm and loading info.  And no, I don't get any type of kickback for that statement I just wrote.  LOL!  :lol: :P

Many will say grab your gear and go shoot. I would like to provide an alternative point-of-view, which worked very well for me.  

Find a match or two that aligns with your schedule.  Go to the match(es) and observe before shooting.  

Much lower stress than shooting right off the bat.  You'll meet some amazing people.  Folks that are very friendly and helpful. You will learn the basic rules, the range commands, the cadence for how a match goes, all in an environment where you don't have to concern yourself with shooting.  

Then, use what ya got for a few matches. You'll experience the competition, how your gear works in a match, what you need to work on, etc.  

After that, you'll be hooked for life!

2 hours ago, IL-SIG said:

Many will say grab your gear and go shoot. I would like to provide an alternative point-of-view, which worked very well for me.  

Find a match or two that aligns with your schedule.  Go to the match(es) and observe before shooting.  

Much lower stress than shooting right off the bat.  You'll meet some amazing people.  Folks that are very friendly and helpful. You will learn the basic rules, the range commands, the cadence for how a match goes, all in an environment where you don't have to concern yourself with shooting.  

Then, use what ya got for a few matches. You'll experience the competition, how your gear works in a match, what you need to work on, etc.  

After that, you'll be hooked for life!

+10! I am not one to recommend showing up and shoot without knowing what to expect.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome. Where in south Ohio? I used to spend summers at my grandmother's around Minford (nowhere). Family all around there, Scioto and Jackson counties. Beautiful country and the greatest people.

ETA. NM saw your later post you are above Cincinnati. Not too far from there anyway. 

Edited by pkrhed