Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS or TS Orange for .40 limited

muncie21

I like shooting the SP-01 in production, so now I'm looking for a CZ platform to use in limited.  Any compelling reasons to get the TS Orange over the standard TS?  

Looks like the TS can be picked up for ~$1000 and almost nobody has the Orange in stock for MSRP.  I found a place where I can order the Orange, but they want like $2200.  Not sure if changes are worth that kind of coin over the standard TS.

I got a Orange to shoot limited because of the thumbrest, tight fitting of slide/barrel, and the grip geometry and checkering .

The factory thumbrest sucks, so I upgraded mine to an aftermarket one for the czechmate from IPSCALEX

Also, I got mine for $1,630 or so from CZC

Edited by Hi_Im_Vinh

No experience with the TSO.  Last month I bought a TS from a member here.  Great trigger with very good accuracy.  I've run it in one match so far.  Only thing I have done so far is added some SP mag extensions, put on a left side wide safety and changed grips to some Scales 2.0.

Interesting choice. I have a TS .40 with about 20K through it. I shoot in Limited. I am looking at the TS Orange as a second gun. Both will need gunsmithing - trigger, slide racker, maybe lightening.

The Orange offers grip checkering that would otherwise be needed on the TS. It appears to have a better beavertail and more undercut on the trigger guard. It is pre drilled for a *thumb rest [generic]*, but I'm not sure of the thread and hole pattern. I don't want to be stuck with the factory *thumb rest [generic]* which looks small and non adjustable (correct me if I am wrong on any of these details)

So .. swings and roundabouts. The lower price of the TS covers a lot of gunsmithing.

If I had to take one in non modified form, I'd go with the TSO.

5 minutes ago, selecw said:

Interesting choice. I have a TS .40 with about 20K through it. I shoot in Limited. I am looking at the TS Orange as a second gun. Both will need gunsmithing - trigger, slide racker, maybe lightening.

The Orange offers grip checkering that would otherwise be needed on the TS. It appears to have a better beavertail and more undercut on the trigger guard. It is pre drilled for a *thumb rest [generic]*, but I'm not sure of the thread and hole pattern. I don't want to be stuck with the factory *thumb rest [generic]* which looks small and non adjustable (correct me if I am wrong on any of these details)

So .. swings and roundabouts. The lower price of the TS covers a lot of gunsmithing.

If I had to take one in non modified form, I'd go with the TSO.

If the OP is at $2200 for a TSO vs. $1000 for a TS, that $1200 goes a long way to upgrading.  I don't think my TS needs any trigger work.  Mine breaks at 1.6-1.7lb and has no overtravel with the screw adjustment.  I may at some point lighten the slide on mine.  The fixed rear sight makes a pretty good slide racker.

I have a TS and have done trigger-work, grips and some frame modifications myself for a very modest price.  I experimented with the Czechmate-based thumb-rest:

https://cpwsa.com/products/cz-czechmate-and-ts-thumb-rest

But found the Shooting Sports Innovations NITRO FIN Tanfoglio/CZ Slide Lock Thumb Rest:

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=NF17-4 TF&n=Shooting-Sport-Tanfoglio-CZ-Slide-Lock-Thumb-Rest

worked better for smaller handed folks.  It required some minor fitting to function 100%

I've handled a TSO and liked it but, believe the TS is a better value for me.

Interesting and informative responses.

I should add that I'm not prepared to fork over the $2200 for a TSO at the moment, however the alternative is to wait (who knows how long) until more become available at the more (somewhat) reasonable $1500-1600 range.

At online vendors, I haven't seen them higher than $1800...is the $2200 you're referencing Canadian or AU $s?  My boss picked one up yesterday for $1600.  

at a more "normal" 1k vs $1600....i think the added benefits on the TSO pay for themselves.  Better frame, checkering, grips, sights, thumb rest, magwell, hammer...all that i think would add up to the difference.  Plus, the TSO is just a sexy beast out of the box.  You certainly don't "need" to do anything to the trigger.  

My only complaint with the TS/TSO is the safety.  I put the shadow2 safety on mine after having problems with both the stock safety and the extended version from CZC.  

Edited by xXGearheadXx

I think considering a TSO for Limited is just silly.  My TS ran right out of the box.

Here is what you get with a TSO.  The slide to frame fit is tight as you start to put the slide on.  It is looser after that.  There is no special polishing of the internals.  The barrel is definitely not fit more tightly than my TS barrel.  You get +1 orange base pads that you have to discard to get 20 in a mag reloadable.  17 or 18 reloadable doesn't cut it.  I'll admit I like the standard frame on the TSO better than the TS, But my TS is better after I did a grip reduction.

My TS has a lot of rounds through it.  I decided to send it down to Cajun Gun Works to have them give it their polish and fit job, plus replace the plastic trigger with a metal one. They also replaced the sear and hammer and barrel bushing.  When I got it back it felt no different than it did before, except there was less trigger creep.  That tells be that throwing a couple, four hundred buck at a good TS doesn't make it any better.

+1 on the RHT thumb rest being worthless.  It is too small and your thumb may contact the slide and slow it down.  That's good for a misfeed or a stovepipe jam.  I have a GoGun rest I'll be slimming down to replace the RHT.  Also, bear in mind that if you do use a thumb rest, you have to go to a full race holster, because the rest will not holster in a Kydex or full holster.

If I were starting all over again, I'd do exactly the same thing.  Buy the TS, buy a fourth mag and four CZC extended basepads.  Add a Dawson FO front sight and go shoot.  I shot mine that way for a long time and did very well with it.

$1600 is the 9mm price. I think the .40 is a couple of hundred more, and you'd want the .40 for USPSA.  

So with $ 500 - 700 more you could add grip checkering to the TS (the TS front strap is way too slippery and generally crap), a thumb rest and a slide racker. 

The TS trigger is good out of the box, but it can be improved. You can do that but easily yourself.

The TS factory mag release needs to be filed down or you get dropped mags during fast reloads. The TSO release looks promising.

The factory left side safety on the TS is fine. The extended safety can be inadvertently pushed up with a high aggressive grip. I fitted its and then went back to the original.

Here's a pic of my TS

17800047_10211962886889560_8261410881464049778_n.jpg

Edited by selecw

13 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

@selecw, that lightened slide really makes the pistol unique, first time I've seen that.

It works well and I like how it feels.

The only issues have been the left side safety that I mentioned above. That's down to how high and hard I grip the gun under match stress. Plus 2 broken rear sights - once the sight blade (the hinge pin channel split) and once the screw that runs through it (sheared), and two sheared slide stops.

Here are pictures of my TS.  I did a grip reduction on it, then put grip tape on the front and rear straps.  The thumb rest will change.  When it does, I'll have the slide, rest, grips and magwell Cerakoted.  Not sure of the color yet, but thinking of Burnt Bronze.  I've turned it into a dedicated Steel Challenge gun for this year.  When I get the two 9mms built I'll decide whether to turn it back into a Limited gun, or leave it.  I have an Open upper for it, but don't use it anymore.  I have two other Open guns.

post-54411-0-08791000-1462828443_thumb.jpg

100_1109.JPG

100_1110.JPG

Depends. You might want to change out the grips for either gun depending how big your hands are. 
Also note that the TSO doesn't offer much to left handed shooters compared to the TS. I got a TS40 for this reason. 
I ran it today in its first match and it won me its first trophy. The mods that I have done to it: tapping of right frame for a right side thumbrest (CR Speed), 7.5 mm fiber optic front sight, CZC enlarged right safety, LOK grips, DPM recoil spring and guide rod. The gun is awesome!

I've got both a TS and TSO. Both in 40.

I picked up my TS NIB for about $1000, and then added an adjustable rear and new fiber optic front.  Picked up my TSO for about $1600.

I think with the upgrades that come with  the TSO over the TS, it's worth the additional money.  TSO comes with better magwell, better front strap checkering, adjustable rear, narrow fiber front, thumb rest, better coating, competition hammer, optional sized safeties, seems to be a little more undercut on trigger guard. You could add all that to your TS but it would probably put cost over or at what a TSO costs.  Just my thoughts.

I keep trying to upload pic's of both for comparison from Photobucket but it doesn't seem to be letting me.

[URL=http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/runningsaluki13/media/20170612_202739_zpsmne65lj5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h429/runningsaluki13/20170612_202739_zpsmne65lj5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/runningsaluki13/media/20170226_151428_zpsnwrs49jz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h429/runningsaluki13/20170226_151428_zpsnwrs49jz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by JGus

After cracking a slide on one of my CTS 40s I decided to get a couple of TSOs to use in limited over building another CTS or TS. The price difference of the TSO and TS (after parts and modifications) were worth it for me. After changing the recoil and main spring, front sight, grips and blending the magwell (things I would have also done with a CTS or TS) and running around 4k rounds between the two, I have zero complaints. In my opinion, not much is needed with the TSO. 

Edited by MRevolutionIX

On 6/15/2017 at 5:21 PM, zzt said:

Here are pictures of my TS.  I did a grip reduction on it, then put grip tape on the front and rear straps.  The thumb rest will change.  When it does, I'll have the slide, rest, grips and magwell Cerakoted.  Not sure of the color yet, but thinking of Burnt Bronze.  I've turned it into a dedicated Steel Challenge gun for this year.  When I get the two 9mms built I'll decide whether to turn it back into a Limited gun, or leave it.  I have an Open upper for it, but don't use it anymore.  I have two other Open guns.

post-54411-0-08791000-1462828443_thumb.jpg

100_1109.JPG

100_1110.JPG

Nice gun, how did you go about uploading the pics like that?? Sorry for the off topic question

But then my Lim gun is an ipsc standard... Adj rear sight, fo front, race hammer, cut down mag release, flat alum trigger, all polished inside, 10x barrel bushing,  spring weights i like, cut frame, mag well, not really a grip reduction so much as just taking it down past the "checkering", and then a cerakote job.

14979072737351789500655.jpg

Edited by rowdyb

49 minutes ago, wingnut said:

I found a TSO Is worth paying $2000,00 I am in PA land of taxes.

If you're looking at the place in eastern PA that's selling TSO's for that coin, I'd suggest ordering one online and having it delivered to your FFL.  Wingnut, PM me, if you want a suggestion.

I was this close |..| to pulling the trigger for a TSO .40 yesterday (Sunday) from an online dealer for $1700 (shipping included, no tax) and decided to complete the transaction after finishing the local USPSA match that day.  However while at the match, I get to talking to one of the gents on my squad and find out he's selling his TSO and TS.  Long story-short, I'm picking up a new-to-me TSO and some extra 'stuff' tomorrow. :D  Can't wait to test'er our this weekend!!