Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tragedy at Vancouver Match?

From another forum, something I thought was worth repeating so we can all find a lesson in a tragic event:

"If you drop a gun, let it go.  It's a hard instinct to suppress - but it helps to have thought long and hard about it BEFORE it happens to you."

Interested in knowing if the gun fired when it hit the ground or if the owner grabbed it mid drop? I am alive today as a result of my gun NOT going off as it struck the ground muzzle up. When it struck the ground I was looking right down the barrel at the hollowpoint I loaded into it. It takes much more training to not follow it to the ground than just being told not to do it. Tragic!

2 hours ago, Ty Hamby said:

Interested in knowing if the gun fired when it hit the ground or if the owner grabbed it mid drop? I am alive today as a result of my gun NOT going off as it struck the ground muzzle up. When it struck the ground I was looking right down the barrel at the hollowpoint I loaded into it. It takes much more training to not follow it to the ground than just being told not to do it. Tragic!

Sure sounds like he fumbled the gun and tried to grab it? Man, I know you are supposed to just let it fall but instinct would certainly be to try to grab it. Ugh... so tragic and happened in an instant.

On 6/13/2017 at 6:58 PM, IronicTwitch said:

From another forum, something I thought was worth repeating so we can all find a lesson in a tragic event:

"If you drop a gun, let it go.  It's a hard instinct to suppress - but it helps to have thought long and hard about it BEFORE it happens to you."

The only I dumped a gun on the ground, I was falling.  It was a conscious decision -- as my hands and face were going to land in an area with weeds, twigs, sticks, and other stuff that might have been able to pull the trigger, if my hands slid on impact.  I decided I'd rather trust the drop safeties than run the risk of the muzzle being anywhere near my head, upon landing.  

Then I just stayed on the ground -- because I couldn't see the gun -- and because I was shooting with experienced friends, who safely secured and controlled the gun before letting me get up.  Pre-planning and smart companions can really help. 

On 6/13/2017 at 6:06 PM, Ty Hamby said:

Interested in knowing if the gun fired when it hit the ground or if the owner grabbed it mid drop? ...

According to the TV interview he grabbed it as it was falling and it went off.