Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which powder do you prefer for 38 super Comp

magpulled

I'm fairly new to open and am curious as to which powder you prefer. I've loaded 3n38 and hs-6 and couldn't really tell much of a difference in the 2. I thinking about switching to hs-6 because of the cost vs 3n38. I'm shooting 124 pd jhp too for what it's worth. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Win Auto-Comp

Consistent, steady Dot movement, readily available priced right

Have you seen any ill effects while using auto comp. some of the post I've read have me a little scared. 

Using 3N38.

I think N105 is better but the nonavailability of 4LB packages kills the cost.

Have used  3N37 but it has presser spikes in high heat so I don't want to deal with a special load for summer time.

SP2 is as good as N105 but no longer  imported.

4 hours ago, 2011BLDR said:

Using 3N38.

I think N105 is better but the nonavailability of 4LB packages kills the cost.

Have used  3N37 but it has presser spikes in high heat so I don't want to deal with a special load for summer time.

SP2 is as good as N105 but no longer  imported.

Can you say more about the pressure spikes?  Hadn't heard about that, was about to try 3n38 in 9 major (as an alternative to 3n38 due to case capacity).

no experience with 38, I only run 9. I've tried WAC, 3N37, HS-6, 3N38, & AA#7. I didn't like the 3N37 at all, doesn't seem well suited for major. WAC was good but just felt a little sharper in the hand. HS-6 feels better to me than AC and is still easy to load, case volume wise. 3N38 is my hands down favorite however, just a pain when loading due to volume. AA7 is a close second and much easier to deal with. Downside is it's a little more dirty leaving a good bit of residue. If you like VV 38 you might give AA7 a shot. 

I'm currently getting a new barrel / comp fitted to my gun so about to start the process all over again. Going to go into it with an open mind and find what works best again. 

9 hours ago, superdude said:

Please specify what has you concerned about autocomp.

I've read a few different stories about WAC and cracked slides. Not sure if there is a correlation but it has me concerned, lol. 

On 6/13/2017 at 5:56 PM, magpulled said:

I'm fairly new to open and am curious as to which powder you prefer. I've loaded 3n38 and hs-6 and couldn't really tell much of a difference in the 2. I thinking about switching to hs-6 because of the cost vs 3n38. I'm shooting 124 pd jhp too for what it's worth. 

If I were to run a 38 as opposed to 9MAJOR, powder cost would be the least of my worries.

I use HS-6 in my DVC open and it works great. 8.6 gn with a 124JHP from Precision Delta. I will be trying 105 when i get my Chaos from Atlas. I was going to try 3n38 in my dvc but with the new gun, but a 105 load was recommended for the new gun.

"N105 Super Magnum gun powder

Slow burning handgun powder filling the gap between N350 and N110. Especially developed for handgun cartridges with heavy bullets and/or large case volume. Reloading data is currently available for the following cartridges: 9x21 mm, .38 Super Auto, .357 Magnum, 357 Remington Maximum, .40 S&W, 10 mm AUTO, .41 Remington Magnum, .44 Remington Magnum, .45 Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum and .454 Casull."

6 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

Start at 9.5gn of n105 with a 124gn rn @ 1.240 oal. Work up from there. 

Does 105 fill the case up like 3n38 ? When I load 3n38 theirs not much room left in the case. For example when my 650 indexes a few sprinkles come out of the case if I don't slow down a little. I noticed with hs6 this didn't happen as much but I was at a starting point of 8.6 I believe.