Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 load VV N320

awleland

Just got 4lbs of this and looking for similar info.

A buddy just loaded a bunch of 147 blues under about 3.2 of 320.

Seems to get slightly more velocity than Titegroup. And, it runs much cooler.  Looking forward to loading some up.

1 hour ago, NoKimberDave said:

Seems to get slightly more velocity than Titegroup.

That isn't my experience.  I'm running plated 147's and my titegroup load was 3.2gr and with N320 I needed to go to 3.5gr to get the same pf.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

That isn't my experience.  I'm running plated 147's and my titegroup load was 3.2gr and with N320 I needed to go to 3.5gr to get the same pf.

Interesting. You'll notice I said "seems" as we had two different batches that were off enough weight wise that the vel difference was not super apparent.

I guess I'll likely find my results to be similar, just don't have a lot of results at this point !

On 6/14/2017 at 10:32 PM, bigdave24 said:

147 xtreme rn,  1.132 oal, 3.5 gr N320.

I just loaded some rounds using recipe above due to great price on the 147 extreme rn.  The round shoots and feels great.

my shadow 2 chronos significantly faster than any of my other cz pistols. talking to others they  are experiencing the same thing as well. don't be surprised if you find the same thing as well.

i tried to like vvn320 and never could. i have two 4# jugs sitting un opened i'll never use.

12 hours ago, rowdyb said:

my shadow 2 chronos significantly faster than any of my other cz pistols. talking to others they  are experiencing the same thing as well. don't be surprised if you find the same thing as well.

i tried to like vvn320 and never could. i have two 4# jugs sitting un opened i'll never use.

What is your preference Rowdyb?

not because i'd claim it is "the best", but i just have a large supply of titegroup and have experience loading it for 9, 40 and 45 it is my choice.

the vv n320 did not run cooler as claimed by many. it did not feel softer. all subjective but not enough in a way for me to warrant the switch.

I like Titegroup but switched to N320 earlier this year.  I don't find it noticeably cooler or softer but I do find it significantly cleaner.  I would switch back to Titegroup in a moment if need be and I will keep the 5lbs sitting in the cupboard in case supply becomes an issue at some point but for now I'm liking the end result with the N320.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:28 AM, rowdyb said:

not because i'd claim it is "the best", but i just have a large supply of titegroup and have experience loading it for 9, 40 and 45 it is my choice.

the vv n320 did not run cooler as claimed by many. it did not feel softer. all subjective but not enough in a way for me to warrant the switch.

I can say it runs cooler in my 5.4 barrel, at least to my view, as it seemed obviously cooler. Otherwise I wouldn't have even noticed. It also is a little cleaner. Could be a barrel length thing, too. 

But I am talking minute positives and I am having a hard time justifying the cost as frankly, like you, I really love my Titegroup loads. And we did chrono stuff and I get more velocity out of TG as it turns out. They've never failed me and if it ain't broke.....

I have a 4lb jug of Titegroup and a 4lb jug of N320, so pretty soon I am going to have to make a decision. I have a feeling the cheap side of me is going to win the day, lol.

I went with VV320 4.1 grains using 125 grain BBI OAL is around 1.110 only because I need to stay consistent in loading my Shadow Carry optics gun which if I don't go a little higher PF the cases when ejecting hit the corner of my FF 3 optic thus causing problems with stove pipes 

The 320 works well with my Shadow 2 but I don't think it's softer

i have been using Alliant American Select which is clean and softer than VV 320

Edited by Big Dog Howie
Adding to comments

If you are a high volume shooter, I don't think N320 runs any cooler. Do a couple bill drills and the gun gets hot fast. It certainly does run a lot cleaner. I am lazy when it comes to cleaning so I definitely noticed it can go longer without cleaning compared to other powders. 

20 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I shot 90 rounds in 3 minutes, the VV load was in no way cooler for me. Maybe it's cooler if you just shoot 10 rounds and stop, but that's not me.

Maybe just shooting 90 rounds really isn't enough? 

We (two of us) shot way more than that to compare the two powders. In several range sessions, including finishing with lots of Bill Drills. I wouldn't generally even pull out my gun for less than 200-300 rounds. The N320 ran noticeably cleaner and cooler in my gun. It runs cooler and cleaner in my training partners gun. I am sorry if you don't want to hear that for some reason, lol.

I guess what I meant was in just 90 rounds of the n320 the gun is so hot it is not different than titegroup over the same sample size. if the gun gets equally hot that quick, what's the point.

And I think you have no idea how much I shoot or you wouldn't have said what you did.

20 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I guess what I meant was in just 90 rounds of the n320 the gun is so hot it is not different than titegroup over the same sample size. if the gun gets equally hot that quick, what's the point.

And I think you have no idea how much I shoot or you wouldn't have said what you did.

From what I thought you were a Master shooter at least. Which is why I would ask for your opinion. Because I value it. And I think its awesome to be able to get info from people like you on an open forum. Thank you.

I thought you were implying by quoting me that the reason I observed what I did was because I was the type of shooter who shot ten rounds and quit. I likely read too much into it. My apologies.

Edited by NoKimberDave