Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag direction

overlord

I just purchased a new Limited gun, STI Apeiro in 40 Cal. I need to outfit it with a sufficient number of magazines and the options are overwhelming. New factory STI, MBX or tuned versions for double the money. There are used options of these out there also.

I have talked to several people and there doesn't seem to be a consensus so far.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by overlord
grammer

99% of the time the factory STI mags work fine when left 100% stock. When you start trying to add capacity by switching out guts and basepadsn thats when feeding issues generally start popping up.

If you're happy with 18rd capacity and/or a bit of tinkering and frustration, just roll with the factory mags.

If you already know that you're going to want the 20-21rd capacity and dont want to fool with mags not running, buy a set of tuned mags or the MBX mags. A little more expensive up front, but not that much more than replacing springs and follwers and basepads, and someone else has handled the frustrating part.

What WGJ3 said. Replacing the basepad, spring and follower on stock mags gets you (typically) within $30 of a tuned or MBX mag. If I ever go back to Limited, I'll buy ready to go 20 round magazines.

MBX didn't work out for my pistol. I tried everything and still would have an occasional nose dive.
I went back to STI 100% for my pistol.
I keep my magazines in spec and check them every so often.
Some people have had great luck with MBX so I'd suggest trying before buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, overlord said:

I'm a firm believer in high capacity so want as many as legally allowed. Any recommendations on either MBX or the Brazos tuned?

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I've purchased both stock STI mags and then installed Grams guts with Dawson bases, and I've bought tuned Brazos mags. I've also bought used mags and had good luck with them. Until recently I didn't think there was that much difference either in price or reliability. Now I know why there's a bunch of after market gunsmiths that tune 2011 mags. 

Last fall I bought a couple of the last STI old style mags and didn't get around to replacing the guts till a couple weeks ago. To my surprise one mag turned into a salt shaker and the other one was slow feeding the next round. I didn't even try them in the gun cause I knew they wouldn't work. It took me about two hours to figure out what was going on. The salt shaker was too wide below the ribs and was allowing the round to partially slip by the follower locking it up. The other one was too narrow in the main body of the tube and was pinching the rounds as they tried to feed up the tube. I have the Dawson mag tuning kit and was able to tune the bottom of the one that was too wide. The other one that was too narrow was a little harder to tune. I had to make a mandrel and spread the tube about .020" to get it to feed. Now both mags run perfectly.

The take away for me is this, if you don't like tinkering with stuff and don't know how to tune the mags yourself, buy the tuned mags and be done with it.

I have MBX mags, SVI mags with either TTI or Grams guts, and STI mags with Grams guts.  STI 140 mags with Grams guts and base pad generally only fit 19 reloadable.  STI 126 mags with Grams guts and Dawson extended base pads fit either 19 or 20 reloadable.  No rhyme or reason why the variability.  SVI 126 mags with Grams guts and Dawson extended base pad are the same as STI- 19 or 20 reloadable.

SVI mags with TTI guts and base pads are better IMO.

MBX mags hold 20 reloadable in the 140 length and 25 reloadable in 170s.   In some of the 140s you can squeeze a 21st in, but you risk spreading the feed lips.

FWIW, any new mags I buy are going to be MBX.  They just work.  Plus they are stronger and you don't have to keep retuning them like you do with the STI (thinner, more flexible metal at the lips).